Slow Cooker Chicken and Sweet Potato Tagine
Don’t you just love it when dinner looks after itself? That’s the main reason I love to use my slow cooker. Throw in some ingredients and then later on return to a tasty meal, ready to eat. I’m still on a healthy eating drive so this slow cooker chicken and sweet potato tagine is just what I need, served with green vegetables and couscous or rice. In winter or in summer, these Moroccan inspired flavours add a touch of spice to your mealtime.
The chicken is so tender from the slow cooking, and the harissa, cumin and cinnamon add a delicately spiced flavour. I like to shred the chicken with a couple of forks before serving, so that the chicken serves more people. You don’t need a whole chicken breast per person when making a stew I find. Chickpeas and sweet potato make the dish go further too, you could also add butternut squash if you have any, the butter soft texture and flavour goes well in a tagine also. Garnished with pomegranate seeds, chopped flat-leaf parsley and dried rose petals, these add flavour and colour to the finished tagine, brightening up your plate.
Before cooking, this dish already looks really warming and rich in your slow cooker pot, giving you an idea of what is to come.
Shred the chicken and garnish before serving straight from your slow cooker. I really think midweek meals needn’t be boring when you can have something like this. Plus you can portion any leftovers up and have them for lunches through the week as well. Traditionally a tagine is served with couscous, which takes only minutes to prepare by pouring over hot water, another time saver which is ideal if you want to eat as soon as you get home.
- 1 onion
- 0.5 red pepper
- 1 sweet potato (250 g approx)
- 3 chicken breasts (500 g approx)
- 1 400 g tin chickpeas drained
- 1 carton (500 g) passata
- 2 tsp harissa paste
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp dried rose petals crushed
- 3-4 tbsp pomegranate seeds I used half a pomegranate
- 3-4 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley chopped
Add the ingredients to the slow cooker pot.
Mix gently to combine the sauce ingredients.
Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-7 hours.
Garnish with the dried rose petals, pomegranate seeds and flat-leaf parsley, and serve with couscous or rice.
For more slow cooker recipes, check out my Recipe Index, and subscribe here so you don’t miss a post. You can also follow me on Facebook and join my new Facebook group here. Here are a few of my other slow cooker chicken recipes you might also like:
- chicken saag curry
- chicken pasanda
- chilli and lime chicken
- chicken with Mediterranean roasted vegetables
- chicken thighs with tomatoes and peppers
Here are some more tagine recipes from me and my blogging friends:
- Moroccan harissa chickpea stew from Simply Food
- Lamb tagine with pomegranates
- Vegan roasted vegetable and chickpea tagine with bulgur wheat from Tinned Tomatoes
- slow cooker chicken and summer vegetable tagine
- Butternut, carrot and sweet potato tagine from From the Healthy Heart
Pin recipe for later!!