Swirls of peanut butter inside brownies or chocolate batter in cakes always look so delicious, and this inspired me to try a strawberry jam swirl in this slow cooker cake. This is a simple muffin-style cake bread with jam inside, lovely as an afternoon treat or after-school snack.
Try different flavours of jam, or even Nutella, chocolate spread or peanut butter to make a change. How about peanut butter and jam, that should make a great combination!
Read on for the recipe for my slow cooker strawberry jam swirl bread.
- 300 g self raising flour
- Pinch of salt
- 250 ml milk
- 60 ml veg oil (I used sunflower)
- 1 egg
- 100 g caster sugar
- Strawberry jam
1. Put the flour and salt in a large bowl.
2. Mix the milk, egg, oil and sugar together in another bowl.
3. Pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients and mix gently.
4. Put half the mixture in your prepared (greased, lined) slow cooker bowl.
5. Drop on some spoonfuls of jam.
6. Top with the rest of the cake batter, then add more spoonfuls of jam on top.
7. Swirl the jam around with a knife to achieve a pretty effect.
In my slow cooker this took. 3 hrs approx on high, but mine cooks slowly. Yours may take less, check from about 1.5 hrs and remove the pot when a skewer comes out clean. Turn out onto a rack to cool.