You really don’t need to give up your slow cooker come the summer. If you are busy (aren’t we all) and often out of the house, keep your slow cooker on hand even in the warmer months.
OK, I admit it can’t make a salad but you can still use it for a healthy and light dish full of vegetables and summer flavours, no stew or casserole in sight! Read on for my recipe for slow cooker chicken with Mediterranean roasted vegetables, a colourful and tasty dish.
This type of chicken and roasted vegetable traybake you might be accustomed to making in the oven works well in a slow cooker too.
If you are short on time and need food on the table as soon as you get home, move your food prep to earlier in the day and switch to the slow cooker instead.
In my busy household this works really well for me and means my kids don’t have to wait too long for dinner when we finally get home after school, clubs and activities. Served with crusty bread, pasta, couscous or rice, and salad/vegetables, all your food groups are covered.
Once the dish is cooked your vegetables will be soft and cooked in the style of roasted vegetables, without any oil being required.
This makes this recipe perfect for Weight Watchers SmartPoints (and Slimming World friendly too I believe). Using fresh herbs and/or spices is a great way to accentuate the flavours of this colourful dish.
More Summer Slow Cooker Recipes
If you like this recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken with Mediterranean Roasted Vegetables, for more summer slow cooker ideas, you might like:
- Slow cooker lemon and herb chicken with asparagus
- Slow cooker aubergine, pepper and mozzarella bake
- Slow cooker halloumi and sweet potato bake
- Slow cooker summer vegetable cheesy cornbread
- Slow cooker chicken and summer vegetable tagine
Pin this recipe for later on Pinterest:
Slow Cooker Chicken with Mediterranean Roasted Vegetables
- 2 red onions sliced
- 2 courgettes (zucchini) sliced
- 1 yellow (bell) pepper sliced
- 1 red (bell) pepper sliced
- 4 chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 handful Freshly picked basil leaves
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Place the sliced red onions in the base of the slow cooker pot, and the chicken breasts on top.
- Layer the sliced peppers and courgettes in with the chicken in the pot.
- Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle the dried oregano over the top.
- Add some basil leaves into the pot too.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours. Try not to leave it any longer or your chicken may dry out.
- As the chicken cooks juices will be produced in the base of the pot, it will not be cooking dry.
- Transfer to a serving dish (leaving the juices behind), garnish with more fresh basil and serve. Delicious with pasta and salad for a light meal.