Now that Spring is in the air, thoughts are definitely turning towards being healthier and getting ready for summer over here! Though a touch of baking for family and friends will still be taking place I am sure…
With that in mind, I created a recipe that would fit in with my healthy eating plan as well as using seasonal ingredients. My slow cooker lemon and herb chicken with asparagus is perfect for spring and summer, and goes to show the slow cooker isn’t just for stews and wintry dishes.
The chicken is cooked gently with lemon juice and herbs, on a bed of onions. I added the asparagus on top just before the end so it steamed nicely and didn’t lose its colour from being overcooked.
The result was a lovely fresh dish which I served with more steamed vegetables and brown rice for a healthy midweek dinner.
Think the slow cooker is only for stews? Think again! This dish works really well for WeightWatchers SmartPoints as well as being a great family favourite.
Placing the chicken on a bed of onions keeps it from sitting in the juices as the dish cooks.
You end up with chicken that has almost been gently steamed during the long slow cook, full of flavour from the fresh herbs.
Great served with more steamed vegetables and rice, or even with courgette noodles.
Add the asparagus near the end of the cooking time to retain the goodness and fresh green colour.
Just lift the chicken and asaparagus out of your crockpot and serve.
Delicious with steamed new potatoes and more green vegetables, broccoli goes well.
Pin this slow cooker lemon and herb chicken with asparagus for later:
Slow Cooker Lemon and Herb Chicken with Asparagus
- 1 brown onion sliced
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1-2 tsp dried oregano
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- juice of half a lemon
- 100 g asparagus
- lemon and parsley, to serve
- Place the onion in the bottom of the slow cooker, then place the chicken breasts on top.
- Sprinkle the oregano over the chicken, and squeeze the lemon half over the chicken. Arrange the fresh thyme on and between the chicken breasts.
- Cook on high for 3 hours (or on low for 5-6 hours).
- Add the asparagus on top of the chicken for the last 15 minutes, to steam.
- Serve with fresh parsley and the rest of the lemon juice over it, with more fresh lemon segments on the side.
This is my entry for this month’s Slow Cooked Challenge which I am hosting, and for which I set the theme of Spring Ingredients. The fresh asparagus I included is a seasonal ingredient and including lots of herbs also makes this perfect for Spring!