Slow Cooker Lamb Tagine with Pomegranates
A flavourful warming slow cooker dish of lamb cooked with apricots and spices, served with pomegranate seeds
- 675 g /1 1/2 lb lean boneless lamb shoulder or leg cut into 2.5 cm cubes
- 30 ml or 2 tbsp oil
- 1 medium onion peeled and finely chopped (or 1 x 300 g pack diced onions)
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and crushed or 10 ml/2 tsp garlic purée
- 1 170 g jar tagine paste or 45 ml/3 tbsp tagine spice I used ras el hanout
- 450 ml or 3/4 pint hot water I used 300 ml in the slow cooker
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 3-4 dried apricots roughly chopped
- 45 ml or 3 tbsp freshly chopped coriander
- 30 ml or 2 tbsp fresh pomegranate seeds
Heat the oil in a large 1.7 L/3 pint ovenproof dish, add the onions and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
Add the paste and lamb. Cook for 4-6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the water. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 2 hours.
20 minutes before the end of the cooking time add the apricots. Cover and continue to cook for the remainder of the cooking time.
Garnish with the coriander and pomegranate seeds and serve with steamed couscous or rice.
Tip: This recipe works well in a low oven at Gas mark 3, 170 degrees Celcius, 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
Slow cooker method:
Brown the lamb in a pan, I did this in a dry pan to avoid adding additional fat to the dish, but you can use oil.
Place all ingredients except the pomegranate and coriander in the slow cooker. Cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 8 hours.
Garnish and serve as above.
Calories: 244kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 68mg | Sodium: 81mg | Potassium: 491mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 975IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 37mg | Iron: 2mg