Slow Cooker Chilli con Carne
This tasty slow cooker chilli con carne is a real family favourite, quick to prepare and easy to adapt for the whole family, whether you like it mild or spicy!
- 500 g minced beef (ground beef) 5% fat, lean
- 1 brown onion
- 1 red pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- 500 g passata
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 400 g red kidney beans in chilli sauce
- 1 beef stockpot or stock cube
Fry the mince in a dry pan until fully browned.
Add the ingredients to the slow cooker, onion, garlic and pepper first, then the browned mince, then the passata, red kidney beans and spices.
Mix well, then put on the lid.
Cook on high for 4-5 hours, or on low for 7-8 hours.
Browning the beef
If you don't brown your beef first then the texture of the finished dish can be really mushy, so I always brown the beef in a hot (dry) frying pan first for best results. If you are short on time then you could try skipping the browning of the meat too!
- I like to use mild chilli powder in the main dish then add more spice to my helping with some sliced red chillis after serving.
- Add in some more vegetables - green peppers, a tin of sweetcorn, even mushrooms work well.
- If your family isn't keen on red kidney beans, swap them for another type of bean (cannellini beans/white kidney beans are good) or even a tin of baked beans.
- Serve with sour cream on the side to help cool it down if children or guests find it too spicy.
- Children might like to have stand and stuff tortilla boats on the side which they can fill with the chilli.
- Grated cheese, cucumber and lettuce can be served on the side with tortilla wraps to make individual chilli wraps.
- If you don't have all the individual spices just use a chilli packet mix instead (these do work out more expensive though overall!).
Can you put raw mince in the slow cooker?
You can but your chilli dish will have a better texture if you brown the mince first. The slow cooker will of course cook raw mince.
How long do you cook chilli in the slow cooker?
8 hours on low or 4-5 hours on high.
Can you freeze slow cooked chilli?
Yes, you can freeze it for up to 6 months. It is best to freeze it in tubs in portions and to make sure it is well sealed to prevent freezer burn.
Can you reheat slow cooked chilli in the slow cooker?
No, the slow cooker doesn't reach a safe temperature quickly enough. Always reheat in a saucepan on the hob/stovetop, in the oven or in the microwave, ensuring the chilli is piping hot before serving.
- Instead of serving it with rice, chilli is also delicious in a jacket potato. This works well if you are having chilli leftovers on a second day, or have frozen a portion.
- Chilli is often served with cornbread in the USA. This slow cooker cornbread from Fuss Free Flavours would be ideal.
- In Cincinnati they eat chilli with spaghetti - my children love spaghetti so I bet they would love it served that way!
- Chilli nachos are delicious, these leftover chilli nachos from The Dinner Shift look amazing.
Calories: 333kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 35g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 78mg | Sodium: 629mg | Potassium: 1427mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 2025IU | Vitamin C: 56mg | Calcium: 76mg | Iron: 7mg