Slow Cooker Chinese Chicken Curry
Easy slow cooker chinese chicken curry made with a chinese curry paste, with baby corn, mushrooms and red pepper
- 1 onion
- 100 g baby corn
- 50 g mushrooms I used baby chestnut mushrooms
- 125 g red pepper 1 medium pepper
- 650 g diced chicken breast
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice
- 100 g Chinese curry sauce paste
- 325 ml water boiling, from the kettle
Prepare the vegetables – slice the onion, red peppers and mushrooms.
If using whole chicken breasts, cut them into cubes.
Put the onion, red peppers, baby corn, mushrooms and diced chicken into your slow cooker pot.
Sprinkle over 1 tsp of Chinese five spice powder.
In a separate bowl, make up the curry sauce – for Mayflower curry sauce I use 85 g of the powder mixed with 340 ml of cold water or for Goldfish brand I use 100 g of the paste mixed with 325 ml of hot water. Make sure you mix well so there are no lumps remaining.
Pour the sauce over the chicken and vegetables in the slow cooker, then stir to combine.
Cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3 hours.
For an everyday meal white rice or brown rice is ideal as a side, perhaps with some prawn crackers. Add steamed broccoli as an extra veggie.
Egg-fried rice is easy and tasty and works brilliantly with lots of Chinese dishes.
Salt and pepper chips would make a nice side, especially for a weekend Chinese banquet.
- Add in crushed garlic, grated ginger and a little red chilli for added curry flavour.
- Vary the vegetables – onion and peas or sweetcorn are a nice combination.
- Garnish with sliced spring onions.
- Replace chicken breast with chicken thigh fillets - these can be cooked for longer without drying out like chicken breast can do. If you use chicken thighs you can cook the dish for 8 hours on low (or 4-5 on high).
Does this Chinese curry have to be slow cooked?
No, you can cook it on the hob/stove top instead as well. If cooking that way, fry the onions and chicken in a little oil for a few minutes until the onions are translucent and the chicken is browned all over, then add the other ingredients and pour over the made-up sauce. Bring the dish to the boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer, cover the pan and cook gently for around 15-20 minutes until the chicken is fully cooked.
Can you freeze Chinese chicken curry?
Yes, freeze the cooked curry once fully cooled in tubs for up to 3 months.
Can you reheat this curry in the slow cooker?
No, slow cooked dishes should not be reheated in the slow cooker as it does not reach a safe temperature quickly enough. Reheat from chilled in the microwave or in a saucepan until completely heated through and piping hot. Defrost frozen leftovers fully before reheating.
Calories: 261kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 37g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 104mg | Sodium: 196mg | Potassium: 816mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1097IU | Vitamin C: 46mg | Calcium: 27mg | Iron: 1mg