Slow Cooker Goulash
Slow cooker goulash made with a pork joint shredded in a red and yellow pepper sauce flavored with paprika, great for cold weather
Servings 6 servings
- 1.5-2 kg pork shoulder off the bone in one piece, skin off, fat left on
- freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil
- 1 large red onion peeled & finely sliced
- 2 fresh red chillies deseeded & finely sliced
- 2 tbsp heaped generously mild smoked paprika plus a little extra for serving
- 2 tsp ground caraway seeds
- 1 small bunch fresh majoram or oregano leaves picked
- 1 red pepper deseeded & diced
- 1 green pepper deseeded & diced
- 280 g jarred grilled red peppers drained peeled & chopped
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 200 ml vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
For the flavoured soured cream:
- 142 ml soured cream
- 1 lemon zest of
- 1 small bunch freah flat-leaf parsley chopped
Score the fat on the pork in a criss-cross pattern all the way through to the meat, then season generously with salt and pepper. Add a splash of oil to a suitable sized frying pan and brown the pork on all sides, place into your Crock-Pot bowl.
Add the onions, chilli, paprika, caraway seeds, marjoram or oregano to the frying pan and cook gently for approx 10 mins. Add the sliced peppers, the grilled peppers, the tomatoes, vinegar and stock, stir well then pour the mixture over the pork.
Cook on Low for 6-7 hours or High for 5-6 hours.
You’ll know when the meat is cooked as it will be tender and it will break up easily when pulled apart with two forks.
Stir the soured cream, lemon zest and most of the parsley together in a little bowl. When the meat is done, tear or break the meat up and serve the goulash in a big dish or bowl, serve with some steamed rice and your flavoured soured cream. Sprinkle with the rest of the chopped parsley and serve.
Calories: 778kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 60g | Fat: 52g | Saturated Fat: 20g | Cholesterol: 227mg | Sodium: 1060mg | Potassium: 1295mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 2570IU | Vitamin C: 104.2mg | Calcium: 159mg | Iron: 5.8mg