Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken
A family friendly slow cooker dish with chicken, beans and sweetcorn great served in tacos with salad, salsa, sour cream and grated cheese
- 4 chicken breasts large
- 200 g sweetcorn tinned
- 400 g butter beans tinned
- 500 g passata (sieved tomatoes)
- 30 g fajita seasoning sachet I used mild, vary to suit your tastes
- 1 tsp fresh coriander (cilantro) chopped
Place the chicken in the slow cooker, then top with the sweetcorn and butter beans.
Sprinkle in the fajita seasoning then pour on the passata. Mix gently.
Cook on low for around six hours.
Shred the chicken and mix it again with the sauce. Garnish with chopped coriander (optional).
Serve in tacos, with rice or wraps and a green salad.
If you want to change up how you serve your crockpot shredded chicken, as well as making crockpot shredded chicken tacos as I've shown here, it is also great served with rice, or combined with rice and rolled in tortillas and baked to make burritos, or as an enchilada style filling.
So easy too to switch the seasonings for a different flavour!
How to shred your chicken in the crockpot
The chicken shreds down easily in the sauce once cooked, so you only need to use two forks to pull it apart.
If you want an even easier option, you can use a hand mixer to shred it!
- Swap for Indian spices (cumin, coriander, turmeric, chilli powder) for an Indian pulled chicken.
- Add in chorizo and swap for smoked paprika for a Spanish style pulled chicken.
- Replace the passata and fajita seasoning with barbecue sauce for barbecue shredded chicken
Calories: 468kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 60g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 145mg | Sodium: 300mg | Potassium: 2002mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 837IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 51mg | Iron: 6mg