Slow Cooker Chicken Pasanda
A delicious mild and creamy slow cooker chicken curry with ground almonds and coconut milk
- 3 chicken breasts cubed
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 cm piece of fresh ginger chopped, or 1 tsp jarred pickled "lazy" ginger
- 1 red chilli or 1 tsp jarred pickled "lazy" red chilli
- 30 g ground almonds
- 1 tin reduced-fat coconut milk
- 5 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1.5 tsp medium curry powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- fresh coriander leaves to garnish
Prepare your ingredients then place all the ingredients in the slow cooker. Stir well.
Put on the slow cooker lid then cook for around 6 hours on low or 3-4 on high. I like to cook for the first hour on high to get it going well, then switch to low.
Serve with rice and naan bread.
If you have more time you could fry the onion in a little oil until soft, then add the garlic and ginger and cook for a minute more, then add the spices and fry for 1-2 minutes more until fragrant, before putting it in the slow cooker and adding the coconut milk and ground almonds to the chicken.
If not, you still get plenty of flavour just putting all the ingredients in and leaving it to cook slowly.
Basmati rice and mini coriander naans are our preference. I make my mini naans using this naan bread recipe.
Cauliflower rice is great for a lower carb option!
- Swap chicken for Quorn pieces for a vegetarian version.
- Replace the chicken with lamb for a lamb pasanda.
- Adjust the spice level to suit you - mix the sauce ingredients in a bowl before adding it to the chicken and taste. You could add more or less red chilli and chilli powder depending on who you want to serve. Kids might want it less spicy, adults more so!
- To make this curry even more creamy you could stir through a little single cream before serving - make sure you do this off the heat though so the cream doesn't curdle.
- Add in your preferred vegetables to bulk out the dish more and make it go further.
Calories: 335kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 39g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 108mg | Sodium: 217mg | Potassium: 847mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 460IU | Vitamin C: 23.9mg | Calcium: 46mg | Iron: 2.4mg