Slow Cooker Chicken Pasanda Curry
It seems to have got cold again so this tasty slow cooker chicken curry was perfect to warm us up in the evening after a long day at work. A pasanda is usually a curry containing cream, yoghurt or coconut milk and almonds. The name means “liked” or “favourite” as this mild curry is popular with young and old alike.
As I wanted to make this chicken curry in my slow cooker, I swapped the cream or yoghurt for reduced-fat coconut milk, because cream or yoghurt can split, or curdle, in the slow cooker. It worked very well, with a thick and creamy sauce when served.
I make no claims as to the authenticity of my version of the chicken pasanda, but we enjoyed the flavours and it would be easy to adjust the level of spice to suit your taste by reducing or increasing the amount of fresh chilli and chilli powder.
I love to make curries but the length of the list of ingredients and the number of steps can be overwhelming, especially if you don’t want to spend hours in the kitchen.
This slow cooker version is so simple because you can throw all of the ingredients into the slow cooker together if you are short on time, and still get great results.
For me, using the slow cooker to make curries is ideal, as you can forget about it for the rest of day while at work or out of the house.
Really popular with my family and also with my readers, this slow cooker chicken pasanda curry is one I turn to over and over again as it always has great results.
It is also very tasty if you throw in some vegetables – peas, red peppers and mushrooms work really well, and you can also bulk it up with sweet potato or butternut squash.
Want More Slow Cooker Recipes?
Get the recipe below and check out my Slow Cooker Archives for loads more slow cooker curries and dishes.
More Curry Recipes To Try
For more tasty curry ideas, take a look at these from my food blogger friends:
- Lemongrass, ginger and butternut squash curry from Sew White
- Turkey Keema curry from Foodie Quine
- Hairy Bikers duck massaman curry from It’s not easy being greedy
- Pakistan style prawn curry from Simply Krati
- Coronation chicken from The Petite Cook
- Quick and easy chicken korma from Coffee and Vanilla
- Slow cooker coconut lentil curry from Recipes From a Pantry
- Fruity chicken curry from Munchies and Munchkins
Slow Cooker Chicken Pasanda
- 3 chicken breasts cubed
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 cm piece of fresh ginger chopped
- 1 tsp lazy red chilli or 1 red chilli
- 30 g ground almonds
- 1 tin reduced-fat coconut milk
- 5 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1.5 tsp medium curry powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- Place all the ingredients in the slow cooker. Stir well.
- Cook for around 6 hours on low or 3-4 on high. I like to cook for the first hour on high to get it going well, then switch to low.