Mildly spiced and creamy, this slow cooker chicken pasanda, similar to a slow cooker korma, is easy to prepare and a great for the whole family. Easy to adapt by adding your favourite veggies too!
What Kind of Curry is a Pasanda?
Pasanda is an Indian curry dish containing cream, yoghurt or coconut milk and almonds.
The name means “liked” or “favourite” as this mild curry is popular with young and old alike. It is quite close in terms of spice to a chicken korma, one of the milder curries.
Adapting Pasanda for the Slow Cooker
As I wanted to make this mild chicken curry in my slow cooker, I swapped the cream or yoghurt normally used in the recipe for reduced-fat coconut milk, because cream or yoghurt can split, or curdle, in the slow cooker.
It worked very well, producing a thick and creamy sauce when served.
I make no claims as to the authenticity of my version of the chicken pasanda, but we enjoyed the flavours including the children!
It would also be easy to adjust the level of spice in this recipe to suit your taste by reducing or increasing the amount of fresh chilli and chilli powder.
Taste the sauce as you prepare it (before adding the raw chicken) and remember that flavours normally become more muted by slow cooking.
I love to make curries but the length of the list of ingredients and the number of steps can be overwhelming, especially if you don’t want to spend hours in the kitchen.
This slow cooker version is so simple because you can throw all of the ingredients into the slow cooker together if you are short on time, and still get great results.
For me, using the slow cooker to make curries is ideal, as you can forget about it for the rest of day while at work or out of the house.
Really popular with my family and also with my readers, this slow cooker chicken pasanda curry is one I turn to over and over again as it always has great results.
It is also very tasty if you throw in some vegetables – peas, red peppers and mushrooms work really well, and you can also bulk it up with sweet potato or butternut squash.
Want More Slow Cooker Recipes?
Get the recipe below and check out my Slow Cooker Archives for loads more slow cooker curries and dishes.
More Curry Recipes To Try
For more tasty curry ideas, take a look at these from my food blogger friends:
- Lemongrass, ginger and butternut squash curry from Sew White
- Turkey Keema curry from Foodie Quine
- Hairy Bikers duck massaman curry from It’s not easy being greedy
- Coronation chicken from The Petite Cook
- Quick and easy chicken korma from Coffee and Vanilla
- Slow cooker coconut lentil curry from Recipes From a Pantry
Slow Cooker Chicken Pasanda
- 3 chicken breasts cubed
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 cm piece of fresh ginger chopped
- 1 tsp lazy red chilli or 1 red chilli
- 30 g ground almonds
- 1 tin reduced-fat coconut milk
- 5 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1.5 tsp medium curry powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- Place all the ingredients in the slow cooker. Stir well.
- Cook for around 6 hours on low or 3-4 on high. I like to cook for the first hour on high to get it going well, then switch to low.