Here I’m sharing my recipe for slow cooker roast pork with sage and onion. Use your slow cooker for a midweek roast dinner and save your time, ending up with a delicious meltingly soft joint of meat flavoured with the herbs through the slow cooking process.
Christmas is nearly upon us and in the busy run up to the actual holidays I can’t do without my slow cooker.
A busy day finishing off Christmas shopping, putting up the tree and festive decorations and getting round to all those last minute jobs, calls for throwing a meal in the slow cooker in the morning and forgetting about it.
Have you noticed that pork and lamb is on offer in the supermarkets right now, since everyone is buying turkey and beef I guess, and you can pick up a large joint for much less than usual?
I’ve been taking advantage of this and been cooking some delicious midweek roasts using the slow cooker.
So after a few minutes of prep in the morning I can forget about dinner and get on with my day, smug in the knowledge that I already have our meal covered. It only takes a few minutes if that to prepare the dish.
And the bonus of opening the door at the end of the day to the welcoming smell of a tasty meal cooking away is just the cherry on the top.
I can just prepare some roast potatoes and vegetables, and put the cooked pork in a hot oven to make the crackling, without having to start cooking a full meal from scratch or resorting to something quick from the freezer.
Once slow cooked, the meat is soft and full of flavour. A quick blast in a hot oven is all that’s needed!
- a pork crackling joint
- fresh sage leaves
- salt and pepper to season
How to make roast pork in your slow cooker
Step 1. Place the pork roast joint on a bed of onions, seasons and and add fresh chopped sage leaves.
Step 2. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
Step 3. To make the crackling, transfer the pork to an oven tray, pat the fat dry with kitchen towel and rub it with salt, and put it in a hot oven (220 degrees) for 20-30 minutes.
Delicious! Do you rely on your slow cooker too for easy midweek meals?
More slow cooker recipes to try
For more slow cooker roast recipes make sure you take a look at my guide to slow cooker roasts.
Pin this slow cooker roast pork for later!!
Slow cooker roast pork with sage and onion
- 1.5 to 2 kg pork crackling joint to serve 6-8 people
- 2-3 brown onions
- fresh sage leaves
- Salt and pepper to season
- Slice the onions and place them in the base of the slow cooker. Tear the sage leaves and scatter a few in with the onions.
- Place the joint of pork on top, season and add a few more sage leaves on top.
- I cook in the slow cooker for two hours on high then six hours on low, total eight hours cooking time. If all on low I would do cook for about ten hours for a large joint of pork. (Reduce the time to eight hours on low for a smaller joint.)
- To make the crackling, transfer the pork to an oven tray, pat the fat dry with kitchen towel and rub it with salt, and put it in a hot oven (220 degrees) for 20-30 minutes.
I’m sending this over to Janice for the December Slow Cooked Challenge. If you haven’t seen her slow cooker chocolate caramel puddings I suggest you get over there right away!!