Some days we are away from the house all day, and the last thing I want to do when I get home is cook. That’s when I turn to the slow cooker to make sure our meal is ready for us when we get home.
My slow cooker chicken thighs with tomatoes and peppers is one of my standby meals that I know will be wolfed down!
You can’t go wrong here really, its a quick and easy meal to prepare in the morning, and goes down well with the family (well mine at least!!). This is a recipe I fall back on regularly; it is based on store-cupboard ingredients and items I tend to have in the fridge every week.
We serve it with rice or pasta and vegetables. It is also nice to have some crusty bread on the side to dip into the sauce. You can remove the chicken from the bone when serving if you like, which is useful for kids, as the meat just falls clean off the bone.
Chicken thighs work really well in the slow cooker as they don’t go dry like chicken breast can. if you prefer not to remove the bones you can choose boneless thigh fillets.
More One-Pot Recipes
For some more one-pot recipes, you could try these:
- slow cooker sausage casserole
- slow cooker lamb tagine with pomegranates
- slow cooker allspice, orange and lemon chicken from Recipes From A Pantry
- slow cooked beef with gnocchi from Emily’s Recipes and Reviews
- simple beef stew from Jo’s Kitchen
- one pot minced beef hotpot from Fab Food 4 All
Pin this recipe for slow cooker chicken thighs with tomatoes and peppers for later!
Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs with Tomatoes and Peppers
- 2 red onions sliced
- 10 small chicken thighs browned first
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 yellow pepper chopped
- 400 g tin of chopped tomatoes
- handful cherry tomatoes (optional) I include these if I have cherry tomatoes to use up
- 3-4 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1-2 tsp oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh basil to serve
- Brown the chicken thighs in a pan (I tend to do this dry or use 1 tsp of olive oil), then place them in the base of the slow cooker pot.
- Add the sliced onions, chopped peppers on top of the chicken, then add the tin of chopped tomatoes, additional cherry tomatoes if you are using them, tomato puree, red wine vinegar and oregano.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- As you can see this fills my large slow cooker quite well. I used my 5.7 litre slow cooker for this recipe.
- Cook for 1 hr on high then 4 on low (or 5-6 hours on low).
- Serve with torn fresh basil leaves, with pasta, rice or crusty bread.