Summer nights and eating al fresco is one of my favourite pastimes. Summery food (and a cold glass of wine) and I’m happy. These large courgettes were grown by my sister in law, I didn’t manage to get round to growing any vegetables this year, but these are still very local!
Simply stuffed with feta, tomatoes, garlic and red pepper, this feta and tomato stuffed courgette made a great meal, served with salad and crusty bread. I wonder if you wrapped them in foil if you could cook this on the barbecue? Must try it out.
I’m never quite sure what what stage courgettes become marrows. Do you have any idea? This was what I would call a very large courgette, it was still green like a courgette, the skin was not yet thick and it wasn’t bland like marrows can be.
The flesh from the courgette is scooped out and then used as part of the filling, so nothing goes to waste. Just add some more basic ingredients from the fridge, and then put it in the oven.
The recipe is also easily adaptable to other ingredients you have in the fridge – I used red pepper and cherry tomatoes here, but chunks of sweet potato, butternut squash or sweetcorn would also work well.
Add some tinned tuna or cannellini beans to the filling to make it go further but without changing the Smartpoints value! Ideal for WeightWatchers SmartPoints, only 3 SP for the whole lot!
More courgette recipes
If you like my feta and tomato stuffed courgette, for more courgette ideas, how about:
- courgette and mint frittata
- courgette and butternut squash lentil bake
- courgette cake with lemon glaze
- feta and courgette filo pie
- sausage ragu stuffed courgettes from Kavey Eats
- bulgar stuffed courgettes with pine nuts (vegan) from Family Friends Food
- courgette pizza bites from Eats Amazing
- courgette and chickpea pancakes from Tin and Thyme
Are you on Pinterest? Pin it for later:
Stuffed Courgette with Feta and Tomato
- 1 extra large courgette zucchini or marrow
- 1 red pepper
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- Salt and pepper
- 1-2 tsp dried oregano
- 50 g light feta
- Cut the courgette in half so you have two flat pieces.
- Scoop the flesh out of the centre and put it in a bowl.
- Put the courgette halves on a baking tray.
- Chop a red pepper, slice the cherry tomatoes, crush the garlic and add them to the bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper and add 1-2 tsp dried oregano.
- Spoon the filling back into the courgette halves. There may be too much filling for the courgettes, if so pile it high.
- Crumble the feta over the stuffed courgettes.
- Bake at 180 degrees for 45 minutes.Serve with crusty bread and salad.