A berry sponge pudding is a great, quick and easy dessert to make when you are short on time but want to enjoy a pudding with your meal.
Tip frozen berries into a dish, make a quick sponge cake mixture, then bake in the oven. It doesn’t get easier than that, and it certainly doesn’t taste better than this!
The frozen berries cook down to make a fruit filling worthy of any crumble or pie. The vanilla sponge topping adds that special something to the dessert making it a real family favourite.
It’s a comforting treat AND it counts as one of your five-a-day of fruit, what more could you need! A berry sponge pudding is perfect for a quick and easy pudding, and here in my house it goes down very well with the kids, in fact the whole family.
If you need a dessert to enjoy on a lazy Sunday after a roast dinner, or even mid-week on a cold evening, this pudding is ideal.
Eat it warm with ice cream or custard, or cold from the dish!
If you like this recipe, be sure to check out my Desserts archives Index for more pudding and dessert recipes.
Pin my berry sponge pudding for later
Berry Sponge Pudding
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Pour the frozen mixed berries into a ceramic dish. I used a small rectangular dish.
- Cream the butter and sugar together, then add the eggs one by one, then fold in the flour.
- Finally, stir in the vanilla extract and baking powder and mix gently.
- Pour the cake batter on top of the mixed berries and spread around with a spoon.
- Put it in the oven and bake for approx 40 to 45 minutes, or until the cake is golden brown and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Leave to cool and serve either warm or cold. Sprinkle with icing sugar before serving if desired.
Delicious served with custard!