One of the best things about using the slow cooker is that you can just leave it to work its magic while you go for a day out.
At the weekend it is great to be able to do just a little preparation in the morning then go out, in the knowledge that you can come home to a Sunday roast all ready for you.
Read on for my recipe for slow cooker beef brisket, perfect for a Sunday dinner!
If you parboil your potatoes in the morning too, it won’t take long to make roast potatoes and vegetables to accompany the slow cooker beef brisket. Wouldn’t it be great to have a fun day out and come back to this?
How to Cook Beef Brisket in the Slow Cooker
Step 1. Brown the meat in a dry pan on a high heat, then place two sliced red onions in the base of the slow cooker. Put the beef on top of the onions.
Step 2. Make 400 ml/2 cups beef stock/broth using boiling water and pour over the beef.
Step 3. Add Worcestershire sauce, season with salt and pepper, add 2 tsp dried sage and 1 tsp dried rosemary.
Step 4. Cook on low for 8-9 hours. To make gravy from the juices, thicken with a paste made from cornflour/cornstarch and a little cold water.
Slow Cooker Sunday Roasts
This is my latest in a small series of posts with slow cooker recipes suitable for Sunday roasts. I love to make our roast dinner in the slow cooker as I put it on then just get on with my day.
If you prefer lamb, how about leg of lamb with rosemary and garlic, or shoulder of lamb with cumin, garlic and lime? If you like a roast gammon joint, slow cooker maple-glazed gammon would be perfect for you.
Do you cook joints of meat in your slow cooker? Let me know what your favourite is in the comments.
Pin this slow cooker beef brisket recipe for later
Slow Cooker Beef Brisket
- 1 kg approx beef brisket
- 2 red onions sliced
- 1 rich beef stockpot or stock cube
- 400 ml boiling water from the kettle
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper to season
- 2 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- cornflour to thicken, if needed
- Brown the meat in a dry pan on a high heat, then place two sliced red onions in the base of the slow cooker. Put the beef on top of the onions.
- Make 400 ml rich beef stock using a stockpot (or stock cube), pour into slow cooker.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, season the beef with salt and pepper, add 2 tsp dried sage and 1 tsp dried rosemary.
- Cook on low for 8-9 hours. To make gravy with the juices, thicken with a paste of cornflour and a little cold water.