Look at these vibrant colours, you’d probably not imagine you could make this in a slow cooker!
Read on and get my slow cooker fish curry recipe, it is easy to make and doesn’t take long (in slow cooking terms), and you’ll end up with a tasty dish full of fresh flavours, a creamy coconut milk sauce and tender flakes of fish.
Cooking fish dishes in the slow cooker
Before I created this recipe, my own spin on a fish curry with coconut milk, I’d never cooked fish in my slow cooker before. Visions of a house reeking all day and fish disintegrated into tiny pieces really did put me off.
But I realised that even though it is a slow cooker it doesn’t need to be on ALL day for fish, and a few hours on low would be sufficient to ensure the fish is cooked through (look for it flaking easily and turning from translucent to opaque) and the vegetables are gently cooked without losing their colour and nutrients.
I was quite surprised to find that the slow cooker could produce a dish full of colour and flavour without the delicate fish falling to pieces.
As it doesn’t take long to cook, this is the kind of slow cooked dish I could put in the pot when I get home from work, and once the kids are bathed and in bed it would be ready for me to serve.
So no need to get prepared first thing in the morning for this one.
In summer I like a big bowl of my slow cooker coconut fish curry with plenty of vegetables and no other accompaniment, whereas in winter it will be served with steamed rice, using a spoon to finish every last bit of the coconut milk sauce.
For the exact recipe quantities see the full details in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- fresh ginger
- fresh coriander
- red chilli
- cod loin
- mange tout
- coconut milk
Step by step instructions
For the full details see the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Prepare the ingredients, then place the garlic, ginger, red chilli, turmeric, lemongrass and coconut milk in the slow cooker.
Add the cubes of cod, mange tout and broccoli.
Cook on low for 2-3 hours or until the cod is cooked through (check that it flakes easily and has turned from translucent to opaque).
Top with chopped fresh coriander and slices of red chilli.
- Serve with rice.
More healthy slow cooker recipes
For more healthy slow cooker recipes and slow cooker recipes for the whole family, make sure you check out my slow cooker archives.
Subscribe so you never miss a recipe!
More fish recipes to try
For more fish stews or fish curry recipes, check these out:
- Brazilian fish stew from Recipes from a Pantry
- Feel-good fish curry from Family Friends Food
- Hot prawn madras curry from The Hedge Combers
- Prawn, mushroom and spinach curry from Fab Food 4 All
- Thai yellow curry with fish from Nicky’s Kitchen Sanctuary
On Pinterest, pin my slow cooker coconut fish curry recipe for later!
Slow Cooker Coconut Fish Curry
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 3 cm piece of fresh ginger peeled and finely chopped
- 1 red chilli deseeded and finely chopped
- 1.5 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 stick lemongrass bashed with a wooden spoon to release the flavour
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 300 g skinless and boneless cod loin cut into 2 cm cubes
- 100 g mange tout sliced
- 150 g broccoli florets
- To serve: fresh coriander and red chilli sliced
- Place the garlic, ginger, red chilli, turmeric, lemongrass and coconut milk in the slow cooker.
- Add the cubes of cod, mange tout and broccoli.
- Cook on low for 2-3 hours or until the cod is cooked through (check that it flakes easily and has turned from translucent to opaque).
- Top with chopped fresh coriander and slices of red chilli.