These simple chocolate cookies are brilliant dipped in chocolate and decorated with sprinkles (especially children will have fun with this!) and also great simply served unadorned. They are perfect for baking with children on a rainy day and for a lunchbox treat!
Sugar and Crumbs recently sent me two new flavours of their naturally-flavoured icing sugars to try out. The first was Black Forest and with this I made Black Forest Cherry Friands. The second was Chocolate Milkshake which I knew straight away I would make into cookies! Read on for my recipe for basic chocolate cookies made using flavoured icing sugar.
I used a basic sugar cookie recipe with icing sugar rather than caster sugar, and replaced the plain icing sugar with the chocolate milkshake flavour.
If you don’t have chocolate flavoured icing sugar then why not try some now, it is very versatile (affiliate link – available on Amazon here). It smells just like a creamy milkshake when you open it up which is a great sign.
If you can’t obtain this where you are, then you could quite simply use standard icing sugar and add cocoa powder to it. I have not tried this so can’t comment on quantities however.
What else goes with chocolate milkshake but more chocolate and sprinkles… The ideal way to decorate these cookies is to let the children go mad with sprinkles!
These cookies are very popular with my children and would be great for a party! Kids can get involved cutting out the shapes with cutters and of course with the dipping in chocolate and covering with sprinkles.
The good thing about such a simple chocolate cookie recipe is that they are very versatile. You can cut different shapes and decorate them according to the season and theme.
They would also be perfect for Christmas decorated with some festive crushed candy canes perhaps!
Simple Chocolate Cookies
- 250 g flour
- 125 g butter
- 80 g Chocolate Milkshake flavour icing sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- Dark chocolate and sprinkles to decorate
- Sift the flour and icing sugar into a bowl and mix them together.
- Rub in butter with your fingertips until it looks like fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the milk and combine until it forms a dough. You may need to use your hands to bring the dough fully together.
- Roll the dough out and use cutters to cut out your desired shapes.
- Place on a lined baking tray and bake at 180 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven when golden brown and allow to cool.
- Melt some dark chocolate in the microwave and dip half of each cookie into the melted chocolate. Immediately add the sprinkles and leave to set.