For this month’s Slow Cooked Challenge Janice from Farmersgirl Kitchen challenged us to make a slow cooker recipe using Oranges and Lemons. With the coming of Spring it is time for fresh and zingy flavours to mark the new season.
I decided to make a lamb dish full of fragrant spices with lime zest and lemon and lime juice. Read on for my recipe for spiced slow cooker lamb with cumin, garlic, lemon and lime!
Easy To Prepare
The spices are mixed into a paste which is spread over the lamb joint and then fresh garlic, lime zest, lemon juice and lime juice is added on top. The dish smells so fragrant and tempting as it starts to cook.
One of the hazards of using a slow cooker I find is that if you are at home while it is on, the delicious cooking smells will make you hungry all day!
After cooking the lamb falls off the bone cleanly, and the flavours of the spices have mellowed to produce a warming dish with fresh notes from the citrus zest and juice.
My husband remarked it was good which is high praise in this house!
How To Serve This Slow Cooker Lamb with Cumin
The spiced lamb tastes great shredded and served with rice or couscous.
Fill tortilla wraps with the lamb, lettuce and chunks of cucumber for something a bit different.
This dish is so versatile it also works with roast potatoes and vegetables as an alternative roast.
Pin for Later
Slow Cooker Lamb with Cumin, Garlic, Lemon and Lime
- 1 kg half lamb shoulder
- 3 tsp cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- Zest of a lime
- Juice of half a lemon
- Juice of half a lime
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- Mix the cumin, salt and pepper, chilli powder and rapeseed oil in a bowl, to make a thick paste.3 tsp cumin, Salt and pepper, 1 tsp chilli powder, 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- Place the lamb shoulder in the slow cooker pot and rub the paste on both sides of it with a spoon.1 kg half lamb shoulder
- Place the crushed garlic on top of the lamb, and sprinkle over the lime zest.4 cloves garlic, Zest of a lime
- Pour the lemon and lime juice over the top.Juice of half a lemon
- Cook on high for 5 hours or on low for 8 hours.Juice of half a lime
I’m sending this over to the Slow Cooked Challenge, which Janice is hosting this month. Do go and visit for more delicious slow cooked recipes with Oranges and Lemons.