Slow cooker teriyaki beef, an easy and delicious slow cooker dish that your family will love!
I often find myself falling back on chicken-based meals for my family as I know they will like it, but sometimes I want to make something a bit different to keep them on their toes.
My kids loved this slow cooker teriyaki beef (admittedly I served it without the chilli and spring onions for them!), and for us this meal made a tasty change from the usual mid-week meals. The house smelt great all afternoon while this cooked away.
Teriyaki is a Japanese cooking method in which food is cooked with a glaze of soy sauce, rice wine (mirin) and sugar, and then grilled or roasted. If you’ve been to Wagamama you are bound to have tried it!
In my slow cooker teriyaki beef version I make the sauce in advance and reduce it to thicken before combining it in the slow cooker with diced beef which has been browned in a hot pan.
The finished dish has a little sauce, just the way I like it, and the beef has the rich but sweet taste of soy and rice wine, intensified by the long cooking time.
I served this dish with white rice, spring onions, and red chillis on top for those who like spice. For the kids, just white rice with green vegetables on the side went down well.
I’m adding this to our regular meal plan in fact as it is great to find something a bit different that everyone loves. It’s great when you’re busy with work, school runs and the rest of it to just throw the food in earlier in the day, and come back to a nearly finished meal.
I was very impressed at making something that looks so exotic in my slow cooker.
It could even be served when entertaining!
More Asian and Japanese Recipes To Try
I’ve asked my food blogger friends for their favourite Japanese and Asian-inspired dishes, here are a few of them, which all sound amazing:
- Green beans with tofu, miso and sesame dressing from Kavey Eats
- Samurai samphire noodles with miso marinated tofu from Tin and Thyme
- Crispy and sticky black pepper tofu from food to glow
- Smoked salmon and king prawn sushi bowl from Foodie Quine
- Mackerel sashimi salad from The Hedge Combers
- Brooklyn pad thai from Planet Veggie
Pin it for later:
Slow Cooker Teriyaki Beef
For the sauce:
- 80 ml dark soy sauce
- 60 ml rice wine
- 60 ml water
- 20 g Demerara or brown sugar
For the main dish:
- 1 onion diced
- 600 g diced beef
- 3 cloves of garlic crushed
- 2 tsp lazy ginger chopped (or 1-2 cm ginger, grated)
- 4 spring onions chopped
- Optional: 1 red chilli chopped finely
- Bring the sauce ingredients to the boil in a small pan and cook until reduced by half and thickened.
- Brown the beef in batches in a hot pan. I did this dry, without oil, but you can use a little oil if you wish.
- Place the onion and browned beef in the slow cooker pot.
- Pour over the sauce, and top with the garlic and ginger.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 7-8 hours.
- Serve with chopped spring onions and red chillis, over white rice.