Slow cooker rice pudding is the perfect winter dessert, rich and creamy with a sweet drizzle over the top you won’t be able to get enough of this childhood favourite!
Hasn’t it been cold recently?! When it is chilly I think we all want to enjoy a hot pudding now and again, and we also crave comforting food from our childhood. Well that is certainly true for me anyway.
I remembered a packet of pudding rice I saw at the back of my store cupboard, and thought rice pudding would be just the thing. It can be enjoyed for breakfast or dessert so is pretty versatile!
Making it in the slow cooker instead of in the oven gives me more freedom to attempt to get the house in order while it cooks, and as you know I do like to put the slow cooker to good use at all times.
No stirring needed is needed with slow cooker rice pudding unlike when you make it in the traditional way on the hob in a saucepan, when you need to keep an eye on it to avoid burning and boiling over.
Neither of which happens with a slow cooker rice pudding recipe luckily!
The rice pudding forms that lovely skin as it cooks, which is my favourite bit of rice pudding. You can just stir it occasionally if you don’t want any skin.
Plus the slow cooker is really easy to clean afterwards so no scrubbing to do.
Just fill the pot with some freshly boiled water and a little washing up liquid and leave it to soak.
If you need comfort food then this creamy slow cooker rice pudding is just the dessert for you, rich and creamy and caramel flavoured, and so easy to make.
Here are the ingredients you will need. Grab the quantities from the recipe card at the bottom of the page!
- pudding rice – in the UK we can buy rice labelled pudding rice which is specifically for making rice pudding. If you can’t get this then you should buy short-grain white rice.
- milk – typically you would use full-fat milk to make your rice pudding extra creamy. I normally have semi-skimmed milk in the fridge and use this, it works just as well with creamy results!
- sugar – caster or granulated will both work to sweeten.
- toppings – optional – your preferred toppings and flavourings – vanilla (I prefer to use vanilla bean extract), ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, raisins, Caramac buttons as I have used in the photos, jam…
Step by step
Here’s how to make this slow cooker rice pudding step by step. It’s so simple!
Measure out pudding rice, milk and sugar. Place them in the slow cooker.
Cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 6 hours.Add your preferred addition on top and serve!
The rice pudding itself is creamy and sweet without being oversweet, and I have added some Caramac buttons (caramel white chocolate) on top to add a taste of caramel.
To serve you can drizzle more melted caramel white chocolate on top if you like.
If you don’t like Caramac or caramel white chocolate you could omit the drizzle completely or stir through dark, milk or white chocolate chips, cacao nibs, hazelnuts, raisins or sultanas, the options are endless.
If you would rather go for the more traditional rice pudding topping, you can use some cinnamon and perhaps a touch of grated nutmeg.
Or a dollop of strawberry jam to bring back memories of school days!
For an even more indulgent rice pudding why not add some double cream or condensed milk to replace some of the milk (I would swap out 150 ml of milk for cream or condensed milk).
Cooking time: Cook either on low for 6 hours or on high for 3 hours.
Troubleshooting: Rice pudding tends to look for a long time like it will never thicken when you make it in a slow cooker.
Don’t worry, this is normal!
It normally suddenly thickens before the end of the cooking time.
If it still looks thin and runny at the end of the cooking time, your slow cooker may be one that runs a little slower than others!
Cook for another half an hour to an hour and check again.
Storage: keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
Reheating: reheat in the microwave or in a saucepan.
More to try
Check out my Slow Cooker Archives for loads more puddings and slow cooker recipes. For more slow cooker baking and dessert recipes check out my guide to baking in a slow cooker too! Subscribe so you don’t miss a recipe.
Other rice pudding recipes you will love from fellow food blogging friends:
- Mars Bar slow cooker rice pudding from Maison Cupcake
- Vegan rice pudding with winter spiced berry compote from Veggie Desserts
Pin this creamy slow cooker rice pudding for later!
Creamy Slow Cooker Rice Pudding
- 50 g pudding rice
- 500 ml milk I used semi-skimmed
- 25 g caster sugar
- 60 g Caramac buttons
- Place the pudding rice, milk and caster sugar in the slow cooker.50 g pudding rice, 500 ml milk, 25 g caster sugar
- Put the lid on and cook for approx 3 hours on high or 6 hours on low, until the rice is soft and swollen.
- Add the Caramac buttons on top and stir through.60 g Caramac buttons
- To serve, if you wish you can melt more Caramac buttons and drizzle over the top. Serve warm.