This slow cooker aubergine and mozzarella bake is a delicious vegetarian slow cooker option with roasted aubergine, courgette and pepper slices baked with mozzarella pearls.
If you are in the USA you might well call this a crockpot eggplant mozzarella casserole with zucchini and bell peppers! Whatever you call it this is a tasty dish that’s for sure.
Eating more vegetables and cutting out the meat from some meals is a great way to cut back, eat on a lower budget and increase your intake of vitamins and other good things all in one go!
As is customary in January, I am trying to eat lighter meals at the moment, and this dish is one I recently developed for the slow cooker. It adds plenty of vegetables into your diet but is still really filling and satisfying.
Packed with roasted vegetables cooked with only a tiny bit of oil, this roasted aubergine, courgette and pepper bake is full of goodness and flavours.
I don’t know about you but I find it hard to eat cold food like salads in the winter, preferring a warming bowl of soup or stew. So a hot veggie bake like this is perfect, especially served with crusty bread or a wholemeal roll on the side.
This is like a lightened version of aubergine parmigiana for the slow cooker, but with a lot less oil and cheese.
The roasted vegetables are layered up with an onion, garlic and tomato sauce, with mozzarella pearls on top of each layer.
There is just enough mozzarella without it being excessively cheesy – however if you aren’t watching the calories feel free to throw some more in!
Step by step
Here is your how-to on how to make a vegetable bake in the slow cooker!
Prepare your sauce first. To do this, combine diced red onion, crushed garlic, a tin of chopped tomatoes, salt and pepper and oregano in a bowl.
Put half the sauce in the slow cooker pot.
Next layer up roasted vegetables in the slow cooker. I roast mine first in the oven briefly for that chargrilled texture.
Add mozzarella balls on top.
Next repeat using up the rest of the tomato sauce, roasted vegetables and mozzarella cheese pearls.
Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours.
On serving, you’ll have a vegetable bake with tasty roast vegetables covered in cheese, so good!
Look out for more vegetarian recipes from me soon, I’m finding it a great way to cut the calories and save some pennies.
More aubergine recipes
I’ve gathered some fabulous aubergine recipes from fellow food bloggers to tempt your tastebuds:
- Tofu, aubergine and water chestnut stew from From Plate To Pen
- Roasted aubergine macaroni cheese from Kavey Eats
- Vegan aubergine ‘meatballs’ from Supergolden Bakes
- Aubergine chickpea bake from Nadia’s Healthy Kitchen
- Spicy aubergine tortilla wraps from Citrus Spice
- Aubergine pizza from Planet Veggie
- Baked breaded aubergine slices from Eats Amazing
Pin this recipe for later!
Slow Cooker Aubergine and Mozzarella Bake
- 1 red onion diced
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 aubergine (eggplant) sliced and roasted for 25 mins approx. in a tiny bit of oil
- 2 (bell) peppers sliced and roasted as above, I used one red and one yellow
- 3 large courgettes (zucchini) sliced and roasted as above
- 125 g mozzarella pearls
- 400 g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- First roast your sliced aubergine, peppers and courgettes for 25 minutes in a little oil. Allow to cool.
- Next, oil your slow cooker pot lightly to stop the cheese sticking.
- In a bowl mix the red onion, garlic, tin of tomatoes, salt and pepper and oregano to make the tomato sauce.
- Place half of the sauce in the base of the slow cooker pot.
- Top with slices of aubergine, peppers and courgette. Add half of the mozzarella pearls on top.
- Do another layer - the rest of the tomato sauce, a layer of courgette slices, with the rest of the aubergine and pepper slices on top. Add the rest of the mozzarella pearls and a sprinkle a little oregano on top.
- Cook on low for four to six hours.
I’m linking up with several challenges with this recipe:
- Meat Free Mondays from Tinned Tomatoes
- Credit Crunch Munch with Fuss Free Flavours and Fab Food 4 All (hosting this month)
- Extra Veg with Fuss Free Flavours (hosting this month) and Utterly Scrummy Food for Families
- Slow Cooked Challenge which I host on alternate months with Farmersgirl Kitchen, who is hosting this month