Slow Cooker Aubergine, Pepper and Mozzarella Bake
Eating more vegetables and cutting out the meat from some meals is a great way to cut back, eat on a lower budget and increase your intake of vitamins and other good things all in one go! As is customary in January, I am trying to eat lighter meals at the moment, and this dish is one I recently developed for the slow cooker.
Packed with roasted vegetables cooked with only a tiny bit of oil, this roasted aubergine, courgette and pepper bake is full of goodness and flavours. I don’t know about you but I find it hard to eat cold food like salads in the winter, preferring a warming bowl of soup or stew. So a hot vegetable dish is perfect, especially served with crusty bread or a wholemeal roll on the side. My slow cooker aubergine, pepper and mozzarella bake was great on a wintry day.
The roasted vegetables are layered up with an onion, garlic and tomato sauce, with mozzarella pearls on top of each layer. There is just enough mozzarella without it being excessively cheesy – however if you aren’t watching the calories feel free to throw some more in!
A delicious vegetarian slow cooker dish.
- 1 red onion diced
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 aubergine (eggplant) sliced and roasted for 25 mins approx. in a tiny bit of oil
- 2 (bell) peppers sliced and roasted as above, I used one red and one yellow
- 3 large courgettes (zucchini) sliced and roasted as above
- 125 g mozzarella pearls
- 400 g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
First roast your sliced aubergine, peppers and courgettes for 25 minutes in a little oil. Allow to cool.
Next, oil your slow cooker pot lightly to stop the cheese sticking.
In a bowl mix the red onion, garlic, tin of tomatoes, salt and pepper and oregano to make the tomato sauce.
Place half of the sauce in the base of the slow cooker pot.
Top with slices of aubergine, peppers and courgette. Add half of the mozzarella pearls on top.
Do another layer - the rest of the tomato sauce, a layer of courgette slices, with the rest of the aubergine and pepper slices on top. Add the rest of the mozzarella pearls and a sprinkle a little oregano on top.
Cook on low for four to six hours.
Adding the second layer.
On serving, tasty roast vegetables covered in cheese, so good!
Look out for more vegetarian recipes from me soon, I’m finding it a great way to cut the calories and save some pennies.
I’ve gathered some fabulous aubergine recipes from fellow food bloggers to tempt your tastebuds:
- Aubergine coconut curry from Knead Whine
- Tofu, aubergine and water chestnut stew from From Plate To Pen
- Roasted aubergine macaroni cheese from Kavey Eats
- Vegan aubergine ‘meatballs’ from Supergolden Bakes
- Aubergine chickpea bake from Nadia’s Healthy Kitchen
- Spicy aubergine tortilla wraps from Citrus Spice
- Aubergine pizza from Planet Veggie
- Baked breaded aubergine slices from Eats Amazing
I’m linking up with several challenges with this recipe:
- Meat Free Mondays from Tinned Tomatoes
- Credit Crunch Munch with Fuss Free Flavours and Fab Food 4 All (hosting this month)
- Extra Veg with Fuss Free Flavours (hosting this month) and Utterly Scrummy Food for Families
- Slow Cooked Challenge which I host on alternate months with Farmersgirl Kitchen, who is hosting this month