Have you started planning for Christmas? The food I mean rather than the presents.
If you want to have a change from a Christmas pudding, or are catering for a crowd and want an alternative to add to your menu, how about a slow cooker gingerbread pudding?
Inspired by the flavours of sticky gingerbread cake, but served as a steamed pudding, this dessert is bound to please a crowd.
A traditional steamed pudding spiced with ginger and other festive spices and drizzled with lashings of golden syrup, this would make a great winter dessert for a cold day as well a being a festive favourite.
Use your slow cooker to steam the pudding and your kitchen won’t be filled with steam, plus you will have an extra ring free on the hob for your Christmas trimmings and sides.
Dig in while it is hot and add a jug of custard on the side, with the sweet golden syrup balanced by the warming flavour of ginger.
There’s no need to wait for Christmas though, we enjoyed this for a weekend treat too on a wintry day. Just look at the shine on that golden syrup, you could dive right in!
More Steamed Pudding Recipes
For more steamed pudding ideas, check these out:
- my slow cooker cranberry and vanilla steamed pudding
- Snowdon pudding from Tin and Thyme
- slow cooker orange and almond steamed pudding with toffee sauce from Supergolden Bakes
Inside, the pudding is soft and the syrup soaks into the centre when you pour it on top of the warm cake. It won’t get dry when you steam the pudding, and the texture is just perfect.
Slow Cooker Desserts!
If you are a fan of slow cooker puddings and desserts, you are in the right place! Check out all my slow cooker desserts recipes for loads more ideas.
More Christmas Recipes for your Slow Cooker
Make sure you check out my Christmas slow cooker roundup full of edible gifts, sweet treats, Christmas dinner recipes and more, all made in your slow cooker!
Pin my slow cooker gingerbread pudding for later!
Slow Cooker Gingerbread Pudding
- 175 g butter softened
- 100 g dark brown sugar
- 65 g golden syrup
- 2 tsp ginger
- 0.5 tsp nutmeg
- 0.5 tsp cinnamon
- 175 g self-raising flour
- 3 eggs
- Golden syrup to drizzle over the top
- Cream the butter with the brown sugar. Stir in the golden syrup.
- Sift in the spices and flour and mix well. Add the eggs one by one.
- Put the mixture in a buttered pudding bowl (I used a 1 litre pudding basin).. Cover the top of the bowl with cling film.
- Fill the slow cooker pot with an inch of boiling water, then place the pudding bowl in the pot. Replace the lid and steam the pudding for 2.5 hours on high.
- Invert the pudding bowl, and tip the pudding onto a serving plate.
- Drizzle over golden syrup and serve with custard or ice cream.