Slow Cooker Honey Mustard Sausage and Leek Casserole
Creamy, warming and so easy to make – slow cooker honey mustard sausage and leek casserole is a family favourite here. Sweetness from honey (I used Maille brand French mustard with added honey), warmth from the mustard, leeks which melt away, a creamy sauce which you must mop up every last bit of!
You can serve it with mash, pasta, rice or crusty bread depending on the season. We love it with mustard mash in the winter, or over pasta with the sausages cut into pieces.
Make it as I’ve done here with low-fat sausages and lighter creme fraiche and you’ve also got a comforting dinner which isn’t too heavy on the calories. Winning all round!
Slow cooker sausage casserole always goes down well in my house, I usually make two versions, a simple one which uses up any vegetables in the fridge or a venison sausage and borlotti bean one which is good for the depths of winter.
This honey mustard sausage and leek casserole is good for spring with its lighter flavours and light and creamy sauce made of chicken stock and creme fraiche.
You can also see my latest video for how to make this recipe. Subscribe to my channel on Youtube so you don’t miss out!
More Leek Recipes
For more Spring recipes with Leeks, you might like:
- Leek and courgette soup from Fab Food 4 All
- Leek and potato breakfast pancakes from Hungry Healthy Happy
- Simple French style chicken casserole from Fuss Free Flavours
- Stir-Fried Brussels Sprouts with Leeks, Ginger, Garlic and Chilli from Tin and Thyme
Pin to come back to the recipe later:
Slow cooker honey mustard sausage and leek casserole
- 2 small onions diced
- 3 medium carrots diced
- 2 large leeks sliced
- 250 ml boiling water
- 1 chicken stockpot I used Knorr
- 6 low-fat sausages I used Porky Lights
- 4-5 tsp mustard with honey I used Maille
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 100 g fine green beans chopped in half
- 2 tbsp lighter creme fraiche
- fresh thyme leaves stripped from the stems
- Place the onions, carrots, leeks in the slow cooker pot.
- Melt the chicken stockpot in the boiling water and pour it into the pot.
- Brown your sausages in a dry frying pan so they are no longer pink on the outside.
- Put the sausages on top of the vegetables, then spread the mustard over the sausages.
- Add salt and pepper to your taste, then sprinkle over the dried thyme.
- Cook on high for 5 hours (or on low for 8 hours).
- One hour from the end, add in the green beans.
- When ready to serve, stir in the creme fraiche and sprinkle over some fresh thyme leaves.