The whole family will love this slow cooker sausage casserole! Packed with veggies and so easy to prepare, this will be one of your favourite slow cooker sausage recipes and you’ll want it on your weekly menu.
Now autumn is here I love to be able to use the slow cooker to make my family warming and nutritious slow cooked meals, packed with vegetables.
I may occasionally wax lyrical about the convenience of throwing your ingredients in the pot in the morning and coming back after a day at work (or play) to a cooked meal. You just can’t beat it!
This sausage dish is the perfect way to use up any vegetables lurking in the bottom of the fridge too.
Adapting the recipe
I make the basic recipe quite often for my family, as it is one of the children’s favourites, adapting it to whatever vegetables I have on hand, and sometimes adding a tin of cannellini beans or a handful of red lentils.
We tend to serve it with pasta or rice as my two aren’t big fans of mash. It always goes down well and warms us up on a damp chilly day.
We love the rich tomato-based gravy that you get after the long slow cook. Dipping a bit of bread in there to soak it all up when your plate is clear is one of the best bits!
And using up all those veggies in this comforting and warming dish is just ideal. It is great to come home to a dish like this which has been left cooking all day while you are out, especially in colder weather.
Step by step instructions
- Brown the sausages in a pan.
2. Chop the vegetables and place them in the slow cooker pot.
3. Add the tomato puree, tinned tomatoes, stock, herbs and mix gently.
4. Place the browned sausages on top, then put on the lid and cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 7-8 hours.
5. Thicken with cornflour if needed, an hour from the end of cooking. When ready, serve with mash or pasta for a warming autumn or winter dish. Green vegetables work really well on the side.
The sauce is full of flavour and ideal for dipping bread into!
Get the recipe for my slow cooker sausage casserole below.
What to serve on the side?
Sausage casserole goes well with mashed potato, pasta or rice, or I also like it with new potatoes or on top of a jacket potato as well.
Green vegetables like broccoli or peas, those family favourites, are a good match.
Can I freeze this?
Yes you can freeze this recipe.
To reheat, defrost well then reheat to piping hot in a saucepan or microwave. Never reheat in the slow cooker (after defrosting) as it does not get hot enough quickly enough. Also never reheat from frozen in the slow cooker.
Do I need to brown the sausages first?
The dish looks better when you brown the sausages in a pan first, otherwise they look very anaemic and not appetising. It also adds flavour. If you don’t mind about that you can skip the browning stage.
Can I use frozen sausages in the slow cooker?
I recommend not using frozen meat of any kind in the slow cooker. If you have frozen sausages, defrost them fully first.
Can I cook this in a casserole dish instead?
If you don’t have a slow cooker the recipe can be made in the same way in a casserole dish. Brown the sausages, fry the onions too if desired, add the ingredients in the same way.
Add 200 ml additional water (since the water will evaporate). Simmer for 45 minutes on medium heat.
How long does it take to cook sausages in the slow cooker?
The basic cooking times for a slow cooker are 8 hours on low or 4-5 hours on high. The same applies for this recipe.
More slow cooker recipes for families
For more slow cooker recipes, with lots suitable for family meals, including my slow cooker lasagne, bolognese sauce, moussaka and cottage pie amongst many others,, have a look in through my Slow Cooker recipes and Slow Cooker Desserts!
This collection of family slow cooker recipes for kids might also come in useful for you.
You might also like some of my other slow cooker recipes:
More sausage recipes to try
If you want some more ideas for recipes to make with sausages, check these out:
- my venison sausage and borlotti bean casserole
- cowboy stew from The Hedge Combers
- bratwurst, root vegetable and kale casserole from Anne’s Kitchen
- slow cooked pork sausage, cranberry and green lentil stew from Foodie Quine
Pin my slow cooker sausage casserole recipe for later:
Slow Cooker Sausage Casserole
- 6 sausages (preferably good quality this will prevent them from disintegrating the slow cooker during the long cooking time)
- 2 red onions chopped
- 1 yellow pepper chopped
- 0.5 of large sweet potato chopped
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 250 ml boiling water
- 1 rich beef stockpot
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- Cornflour to thicken if needed
- Brown the sausages on all sides over high heat in a dry pan. Place them in the slow cooker.
- Add the remaining ingredients, mix and cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- An hour before serving, check if the sauce is thick enough. If not, make a paste using 1 tbsp cornflour and a little water, then stir the paste into the pot and let it cook for the last hour, to thicken.
This is my entry this month for the Slow Cooked Challenge from Janice from Farmersgirl Kitchen (and me!). Do go and check it out for more delicious slow cooked recipes!