Slow Cooker Sausage Casserole
Now autumn is here I love to be able to use the slow cooker to make my family warming and nutritious slow cooked meals, packed with vegetables.
I may occasionally wax lyrical about the convenience of throwing your ingredients in the pot in the morning and coming back after a day at work (or play) to a cooked meal. You just can’t beat it!
This slow cooker sausage casserole is the perfect way to use up any vegetables lurking in the bottom of the fridge too.
I make the basic slow cooker sausage casserole quite often for my family, as it is one of the children’s favourites, adapting it to whatever vegetables I have on hand, and sometimes adding a tin of cannellini beans or a handful of red lentils.
We tend to serve it with pasta or rice as my two aren’t big fans of mash. It always goes down well and warms us up on a damp chilly day.
We love the rich tomato-based gravy that you get after the long slow cook. Dipping a bit of bread in there to soak it all up when your plate is clear is one of the best bits!
And using up all those veggies in this comforting and warming dish is just ideal. It is great to come home to a dish like this which has been left cooking all day while you are out, especially in colder weather.
How to Make Slow Cooker Sausage Casserole
- Brown the sausages in a pan.
- place in the slow cooker.
- Add the vegetables, tomato puree, tinned tomatoes, stock, herbs and mix gently.
- Cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 7-8 hours.
- Thicken with cornflour if needed, an hour from the end of cooking.
Get the recipe for my slow cooker sausage casserole below.
For more slow cooker recipes, with lots suitable for family meals, including my slow cooker lasagne, bolognese sauce, moussaka and cottage pie amongst many others, including loads of slow cooker cakes and puddings, have a look in through my Slow Cooker Recipes archives.
You might also like some of my other slow cooker recipes:
More Sausage Recipes
If you want some more ideas with sausages, check these out:
- my venison sausage and borlotti bean casserole
- cowboy stew from The Hedge Combers
- bratwurst, root vegetable and kale casserole from Anne’s Kitchen
- slow cooked pork sausage, cranberry and green lentil stew from Foodie Quine
Pin my slow cooker sausage casserole recipe for later:
Slow Cooker Sausage Casserole
- 6 sausages (preferably good quality this will prevent them from disintegrating the slow cooker during the long cooking time)
- 2 red onions chopped
- 1 yellow pepper chopped
- 0.5 of large sweet potato chopped
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 250 ml boiling water
- 1 rich beef stockpot
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- Cornflour to thicken if needed
- Brown the sausages on all sides over high heat in a dry pan. Place them in the slow cooker.
- Add the remaining ingredients, mix and cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- An hour before serving, check if the sauce is thick enough. If not, make a paste using 1 tbsp cornflour and a little water, then stir the paste into the pot and let it cook for the last hour, to thicken.
This is my entry this month for the Slow Cooked Challenge from Janice from Farmersgirl Kitchen (and me!). Do go and check it out for more delicious slow cooked recipes!