If you love fresh mango and red chillis and want a tasty spiced main dish I have just the thing. My slow cooker mango chicken recipe is easy to make, full of flavour and wonderful served with rice and perhaps some naan breads to dip in this delicious sauce!
When you can make this from scratch in no time at all, you’ll have dinner on the go before you know it.
My slow cooker mango chicken is full of flavour whatever the weather outside, which is good given that is nearly May and is absolutely freezing today.
After those hot days in earlier in April when it was warmer than Greece in the UK I think we all just want the summer to be here now.
If we can’t have the sun in the sky just yet then this summery yellow dish with its tropical fruit flavours is possibly the next best thing.
I don’t know about you but I still like to eat spicy food and curries in the spring and summer, I just might serve it with broccoli rice or stirfried vegetables instead of normal rice to lighten it up a bit.
As well as the fresh mango I’ve also used some mango chutney in this dish, which intensifies the mango flavour as well as adding a bit of heat.
I also love that this looks so colourful during cooking!
Thickening the sauce
This dish is so easy to make, you just need to mix the sauce ingredients together in a bowl, and then pour the sauce over the rest of the ingredients in the slow cooker.
I don’t use cornflour in many of my slow cooker recipes, preferring other methods of thickening sauces at times like reducing the sauce in a pan first before adding to the slow cooker, adding sweet potato or butternut squash to a dish to create a naturally thick sauce.
But with this recipe I do use a cornflour paste to thicken up that tasty sauce during cooking.
That is because this technique is often used in Asian recipes of this kind to achieve a thicker sauce and it gives great results.
I think you’ll love the sweet and yet at the same time spicy flavour of this slow cooker mango chicken.
Soft chunks of mango in the tasty chilli-spiced sauce are just divine.
I use light coconut milk for the base of the sauce, to save on calories.
Based on the recipe below this works out at 8 SmartPoints per serving, you could also double the amount of chicken breasts and keep the same amount of sauce (there is plenty) which would make it 4 SmartPoints per serving. (check your own WW personal points).
You’ll need these recipes to make this dish (get the quantities from the recipe card further down):
- light coconut milk – for the delicious creamy sauce.
- ginger puree – I like the tubes of ginger puree from the supermarket, great for convenience. You could use fresh ginger grated if you prefer.
- mango chutney – this adds some spice and deep flavour to the dish.
- turmeric – adds flavour and also gives the yellow colour to the dish.
- cumin – to add flavour.
- onion – part of the dish, also used to place the chicken breasts on during cooking.
- chicken breast – increase the quantities if you want to feed more people. Could also use boneless chicken thigh fillets which stand up really well to slow cooking.
- red chilli – fresh is great to add colour to this dish.
- mango – fresh works well but you could also use frozen mango cubes.
- cornflour – to thicken the sauce, traditionally used in Asian dishes.
- Mix all of the sauce ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Place the diced onion in the base of the slow cooker and top it with the chicken. Season with salt and pepper.
- Put in the mango, pour over the sauce. Put the sliced red chilli on top.
- Cook on high for 3 hours.
- Make a paste from the cornflour and 2 tablespoons of cold water in a small bowl.
Pour this into the slow cooker and mix well.
This will thicken the sauce and also if the sauce happens to split due to the fresh fruit, it will bring it back together.
Cook for another hour on high, then serve.
More mango recipes
For more mango inspiration, I bet you’ll love these recipes from my food blogger firneds:
- mango margarita from Supper in the Suburbs
- Indian chicken and mango salad from Hungry Healthy Happy
- mango lassi ice lollies from Kavey Eats
- coconut mango cake with coconut caramel drizzle from Recipes from a Pantry
Make sure you pin this recipe to Pinterest to save it for later!
Slow Cooker Mango Chicken
For the sauce:
- 1 tin light coconut milk 400 ml
- 1 tsp ginger puree
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 6 tsp mango chutney
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp cumin
For the dish:
- 1 large onion diced
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1 mango diced
- 1 red chilli seeds removed and sliced finely
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- Mix all of the sauce ingredients together in a large bowl.1 tin light coconut milk, 1 tsp ginger puree, 2 cloves of garlic, 6 tsp mango chutney, 1 tsp turmeric, ½ tsp cumin
- Place the diced onion in the base of the slow cooker and top it with the chicken. Season with salt and pepper.1 large onion, 3 chicken breasts
- Put in the mango, pour over the sauce. Put the sliced red chilli on top.1 mango, 1 red chilli
- Cook on high for 3 hours.
- Make a paste from the cornflour and 2 tablespoons of cold water in a small bowl. Pour this into the slow cooker and mix well. This will thicken the sauce and also if the sauce happens to split due to the fresh fruit, it will bring it back together. Cook for another hour on high, then serve.1 tbsp cornflour