A busy day calls for a dinner thrown in the slow cooker earlier in the day, so I can get on with that never-ending to-do list.
My slow cooker pesto and sweet potato chicken is simple to prepare, tastes great and gets in a few of your five-a-day too. It also fits in well with WeightWatchers Smartpoints or Slimming World.
Cooked on low in the slow cooker all day, the chicken is placed on a bed of onions which holds it out of the cooking liquid (chicken stock).
This means your pesto stays put and adds flavour to your chicken all day as it bubbles away slowly.
Did you know you can make slow cooker dishes that looks this fresh and bright? It isn’t just stews and casseroles you can make in there you know!
There’s really no need to put away your slow cooker when Spring arrives, when you can make fresh and healthy dishes like this.
The convenience of a slow cooker means I use mine all year round.
More Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes
I’ve got loads of recipes like this in my recipe archives – you can see them all in my slow cooker archives.
You might like my slow cooker lemon and herb chicken with asparagus and my slow cooker chicken with Mediterranean roasted vegetables.
These bright colours just make me happy for the arrival of Spring and the warmer weather that will hopefully be on the way soon.
If you can enjoy fresh flavours from the slow cooker there is no need to abandon it until next winter I reckon.
More Recipes Using Pesto
More pesto recipes you might like to use up the rest of your jar of pesto:
- Quick leftover pork pesto pasta from Fab Food 4 All
- Pesto and feta pastries from Fuss Free Flavours
- Pesto peppers topped with halloumi from KneadWhine
- Roasted red pepper and pesto frittata from Hungry Healthy Happy
Pin this recipe for slow cooker pesto and sweet potato chicken for later!!
Slow Cooker Pesto and Sweet Potato Chicken
- 2 small onions sliced
- 180 g sweet potato chopped
- 180 g butternut squash chopped
- 3 chicken breasts large
- 3 tsp reduced-fat pesto
- 1 chicken stock melt/stockpot
- 150 ml boiling water
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 1 tsp oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the chopped onions in the base of the slow cooker.
- Put half of the sweet potato and butternut squash in with the onion.
- Place the chicken breasts on top of the vegetables.
- Spread 1 teaspoon of reduced-fat pesto over each chicken breast, season with salt and pepper and sprinkle over the oregano.
- Put the rest of the sweet potato and butternut squash, and the cherry tomatoes, around the chicken breasts.
- Measure the boiling water in a jug and add the chicken stock melt. Stir to melt it and then carefully pour the stock under the chicken in the vegetables.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours.
- Check the chicken is cooked through.
- Using a large slotted spoon, lift the chicken breasts out of the slow cooker and place them in a serving dish. Put the cooked vegetables around the chicken and serve.