I found some lovely fresh apricots in the supermarket and had to bake something with them. I thought they would go nicely with an almond sponge so this recipe for apricot and almond traybake as born.
Fresh apricots are one of my favourite summer fruits, they remind me of childhood from eating tinned apricots in juice. But fresh ones are so much better!
A quick and easy bake like this is a lovely treat for dessert.
Serve warm with ice cream or cut into squares once cool and it is ideal to pop into a lunchbox as a treat. Popular with the whole family!
This didn’t last long in my house. Soft and fragrant apricots nestled inside a delicious almond sponge, yum!
You have to try my recipe for apricot and almond traybake this summer.
How to Make this Apricot and Almond Traybake
This traybake or sheet cake iso easy to make. I used a stoneware pan for this recipe, but a normal tin would work just as well.
Make up the sponge mixture, then add the halved fresh apricots on top and sprinkle over a little sugar. As it bakes the apricots sink into the middle and become so soft and sweet.
pin for later
Apricot and almond traybake
- Cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs one by one, and mix well after adding each one.
- Fold in the flour, ground almonds, baking powder and vanilla extract and mix until just combined.
- I cooked this in a stoneware dish so I just sprayed it with some Lurpak cooking spray to prepare it.
- Pour in the cake batter and smooth around the dish with a spatula.
- Press in the apricots in a pattern of one turned up and one turned down.
- Sprinkle over the additional sugar to sweeten the fruit.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes at 180 degrees in a preheated oven, or until the sponge is golden brown and the centre of the cake is firm and a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the dish, sprinkle with icing sugar, then cut into squares to serve.