A delicious and easy blackcurrant traybake, or sheet cake, which makes seasonal blackcurrants the star of the show. Delicious almond sponge cake contains bursts of sweetness and a hint of tartness from the berries inside!
My blackcurrant recipes are popular in July when blackcurrants are ripe. But if you freeze some after purchase or picking, then you can enjoy this tasty traybake cake all year round.
This recipe was inspired by my apricot traybake recipe on this site, and is great with ice cream, custard or whipped cream.
Traybake cakes are fab as you cut them into squares before serving, making them great for adding to lunchboxes or grabbing as a snack!
Here is what you’ll need for this recipe. Check the recipe card for the quantities, use this list as your shopping list or checklist for gathering the ingredients together.
- self-raising flour
- unsalted butter
- caster sugar
- vanilla extract
- ground almonds
Before you start, read my step-by-step instructions, with photos, hints and tips so you can make this blackcurrant cake recipe perfectly every time.
Scroll down for the recipe card with quantities and more tips at the bottom of the page.
Cream together the butter and sugar.
Add the eggs one by one, and mix well after adding each one.
Fold in the flour, ground almonds, baking powder and vanilla extract.
Mix until just combined.
Grease the baking dish then pour in the cake batter and smooth around the dish with a spatula.
Spread the blackcurrants over the top.
Bake for 35-40 minutes at 180°C (350°F) (fan) in a preheated oven, or until the cake is golden, the centre of the cake is firm and a skewer comes out clean.
Allow to cool in the dish, sprinkle with icing sugar, then cut into squares to serve.
Other fruits work well in this traybake. Why not try it with:
I make this blackcurrant traybake in a 9 inch square stone baking dish, if you use a metal pan the cooking time may need to be reduced by 5-10 minutes, because metal pans heat up more quickly.
For best results do keep an eye on the pan as it bakes and look out for burning etc.
Blackcurrant Traybake Cake
- Cream together the butter and sugar.220 g butter, 220 g caster sugar
- Add the eggs one by one, and mix well after adding each one.4 eggs
- Fold in the flour, ground almonds, baking powder and vanilla extract and mix until just combined.50 g ground almonds, 170 g self raising flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Grease the pan, pour in the cake batter and smooth around the dish with a spatula.
- Spread the blackcurrants over the top.300 g blackcurrants
- Bake for 35-40 minutes at 180 degrees in a preheated oven, or until the sponge is golden brown and the centre of the cake is firm and a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the dish, sprinkle with icing sugar, then cut into squares to serve.icing sugar