For a lighter version of a quiche, why not use filo pastry for the case and make a feta, pepper and courgette filo pie. This filo pie is filled with colourful vegetables – yellow and red peppers, red onion, courgette – and feta cheese, and is an ideal summer dish, served with salads.
If the sun peeps out then I always crave lighter food and fresh salads, and my filo pie was perfect for this. The vegetables still have some bite and the crisp filo pastry snaps as you bite into it. For an even crispier base you could bake the pie in a quiche or flan dish rather than a pie dish as I used here.
My veggie-filled filo pie was delicious for lunch on a sunny day and would also be great for a picnic.
Feta, Pepper and Courgette Filo Pie
- 5-6 sheets of filo pastry
- olive oil spray
- 1 small red pepper cut in strips
- 1 small yellow pepper cut in strips
- 0.5 red onion cut in wedges
- 0.5 a large courgette chopped
- 4 medium eggs
- 150 ml semi-skimmed milk
- 100 g feta
- Fresh basil leaves to serve
- Spray your quiche or pie dish lightly with olive oil.
- Crumple your sheets of filo slightly and aArrange them in the dish, spraying each sheet lightly with oil as you layer them up.
- Place the red and yellow pepper, red onion and courgette in the dish on top of the pastry sheets.
- Whisk the eggs and milk together, and season it with salt and pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables in the pie dish.
- Crumble the feta over the top.
- Place the pie dish on a baking sheet and bake the pie for around 40-45 minutes until the filling is set and the filo is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Top the pie with some torn basil leaves and serve with salads.
Pin for later
I am linking up with The Pastry Challenge from Jens Food and United Cakedom. The theme for this month is picnics.
I’m also linking this recipe up with Simply Eggcellent from Belleau Kitchen. The theme this month is savoury.
I’m also linking up with Jac from Tinned Tomatoes and her Meat Free Mondays linky.
I’ve also sent this over to Kate from Veggie Desserts who is hosting Extra Veg this month for Fuss Free Flavours and Utterly Scrummy.