Slow Cooker Gnocchi with Cannellini Beans
This month I am craving vegetarian and lighter dishes, after the excesses of December. I have quite a good selection now of vegetarian slow cooker dishes that I turn to (check them out here in my recipe index) when I want vegetable goodness.
This slow cooker gnocchi with cannellini beans is a hearty and satisfying dish which will warm you up this winter, and will fit into your healthy eating plan too.
The potato gnocchi are cooked gently and slowly in the slow cooker for a few hours in a rich sauce made with passata, herbs, courgette and mushroom, filling your home with delicious aromas.
I served mine with loads of green vegetables on the side, and crusty bread. Perfect comfort food for a chilly evening, just what I like. It would also be lovely with mozzarella and parmesan on top.
Making a batch of this I was able to have it for dinner and then for lunches for a few days, making it really good for meal planning for your midweek meals.
The cannellini beans make it a really filling dish. Looking online I see that Italians serve gnocchi with beans too, it is a great frugal meal with its origins in peasant food I am sure.
Pin for later:
Slow cooker gnocchi with cannellini beans
- 2 small onions sliced
- 1 large field mushroom sliced
- 1 courgette chopped
- 1 500 g carton passata
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 400 g tin cannellini beans drained
- 1 500 g pack gnocchi
- 1 tsp vegetable bouillon (stock) powder I use Marigold
- pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- fresh basil, to serve
- Place the onion, mushroom, courgette, cannellini beans and gnocchi in the slow cooker pot.
- Add the passata, tomato puree, vegetable bouillon powder and stir well.
- Add pepper to taste (passata is already salted so I don't add salt), then add the dried oregano.
- Cook for around 3 hours on high, or around 6 hours on low.
- Garnish with the fresh basil leaves, and serve.