This slow cooker gnocchi with cannellini beans is a hearty and satisfying dish which will warm you up this winter, and will fit into your healthy eating plan too.
This month I am craving vegetarian and lighter dishes, after the excesses of December. I have quite a good selection now of vegetarian slow cooker dishes that I turn to (check them out in my slow cooker archives) when I want vegetable goodness.
The potato gnocchi are cooked gently and slowly in the slow cooker for a few hours in a rich sauce made with passata, herbs, courgette and mushroom, filling your home with delicious aromas.
I served mine with loads of green vegetables on the side, and crusty bread. Perfect comfort food for a chilly evening, just what I like.
It would also be lovely with mozzarella and parmesan on top (or use a vegan alternative).
Making a batch of this sow cooker gnocchi with cannellini beans, I was able to have it for dinner and then for lunches for a few days, making it really good for meal planning for your midweek meals.
The cannelloni beans – also called white kidney beans – make it a really filling dish. Looking online I see that Italians serve gnocchi with beans too, it is a great frugal meal with its origins in peasant food I am sure.
Pin this slow cooker gnocchi with cannellini beans for later:
Slow Cooker Gnocchi with Cannellini Beans
- Place the onion, mushroom, courgette, cannellini beans and gnocchi in the slow cooker pot.
- Add the passata, tomato puree, vegetable bouillon powder and stir well.
- Add pepper to taste (passata is already salted so I don't add salt), then add the dried oregano.
- Cook for around 3 hours on high, or around 6 hours on low.
- Garnish with the fresh basil leaves, and serve.