Look at this gorgeous slow cooker lime polenta cake, so simple yet so delicious.
As it is gluten-free (if gluten-free baking powder is used) and contains only ground almonds and polenta, the cake is very soft and falls apart easily, so needs to be handled with care.
- 225 g butter
- 225 g caster sugar
- 190 g ground almonds
- 3 medium eggs
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- Zest of two limes
- Juice of one lime
- 110 g polenta
- A grinding of salt
- 1 tsp baking powder (use gluten-free for a completely gluten-free cake)
- Grease an 8 inch silicone pan.
- Cream together the sugar and butter using an electric handmixer, until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the ground almonds and add the vanilla extract.
- Add the eggs one by one, mixing well between each one.
- Add the lime zest, lime juice, salt and polenta, and mix until fairly smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the silicone pan and place it in your slow cooker (I used a 5.7 litre one). Add some water beneath the pan if required by your slow cooker.
- Replace the lid, tucking a tea towel beneath it to stop water dripping onto the cake.
- Cook on high for approx 2 hours or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely then carefully remove from the silicone pan.
Dust with icing sugar to serve, and add some mascarpone on the side for an extra treat.