This creamy slow cooker pork casserole with apple and leeks is just perfect for the colder months and is ideal for the whole family served with mash. Quick and easy to make too!
Now that my kids are back to school and after-school clubs have started back up, I am again relying on my slow cooker so we can come home after a busy afternoon to healthy, home-cooked meals which are steaming hot and ready to eat.
It is great to be able to throw a few simple ingredients in and then forget about it until tea time.
I love using a digital slow cooker which will cook for as long as I want then switch to the keep warm function and keep the food hot. So convenient when you are busy out and about or at work. No need to worry about burning if you are running late! If you need a digital slow cooker (affiliate link), this one is a great option.
This slow cooker pork casserole recipe is so simple to make but tastes great and is a hit with the whole family. This is a definite bonus in my book!
The delicious light stock base allows the flavours of the leek, apple and carrot to come through. It’s a good way to used diced pork in your slow cooker, and the mild and sweet flavours of the leek and apple make this great for kids.
Diced pork is lean and tasty and cooks well in the slow cooker without getting tough. It makes a nice change from chicken and beef, I also like to make slow cooker sweet and sour pork as another slow cooker option with diced pork.
Pork and apple is of course a classic combination used in many recipes, since they go so well together, so why change a winning formula!
Step by step
1. Slice the onion, carrots, leek and apple and put them in the slow cooker pot.
2. Add the diced pork, herbs and chicken stock. Season well with salt and pepper.
3. Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours. Add 3-4 tablespoons of creme fraiche just before serving and stir well.
How to serve
We sometimes serve this dish with rice and garlic bread for an easy midweek meal, it is also great with mash and green vegetables.
The slow cooked pork is so tender which makes it popular with my whole family.
Pin for later:
Slow Cooker Pork Casserole with Apple and Leek
- 500 g pork topside diced
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 carrots sliced
- 1 leek sliced
- 1 apple cored but not peeled, chopped
- 400 ml chicken stock
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- A dash of liquid chicken stock to add extra flavour, optionsl
- 3-4 tbsp crème fraîche
- Place all the ingredients except the crème fraîche in the slow cooker. It is best to add the vegetables and apple first, then put the meat on top. Pour the chicken stock over the whole lot.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Add the crème fraîche just before serving and stir through.
I’m linking up with Farmersgirl Kitchen‘s Slow Cooker Challenge run by Janice, check it out for more delicious slow cooker recipes.