I was inspired to make this slow cooker summer vegetable cheesy cornbread by a gorgeous looking cornbread I saw made by The Bojon Gourmet – take a look here. I thought I’d try to make something a bit like this using my slow cooker, and with different toppings to suit my family.
The basic cornbread recipe is based on a Jamie Oliver’s Chilli cheese cornbread but tweaked for my ingredients and method of course.
This dish is lovely for a summer lunch or picnic, served with salads, olives, cheese and sliced meat, or as an accompaniment to chilli and rice on an autumn evening. It was also lovely on its own for a quick lunch.
Slice up the slow cooker summer vegetable cheesy cornbread and pop it in a lunch box for school and work and you are all set. Veggies, cheese and cornbread, what more could you need!
Cornbread is ideal to make a change from a boring sandwich for lunch and this veggie topped one is great for the summer.
The finished vegetable cornbread is bright and colourful, you can also vary the veggies as desired to make it different each time you have it.
Plus use up those veggies lingering in your salad drawer in the fridge!
More Recipes to Try
Pin this slow cooker cheesy cornbread for later
Slow cooker summer vegetable cheesy cornbread
- 2 onions
- 2 corn on the cob
- 4 medium eggs beaten
- 300 g polenta
- 220 ml semi skimmed milk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 6 tbsp plain flour
- 100 g medium cheddar
- 150 g baby plum tomatoes
- 2 baby courgettes
- 1/3 of a red pepper
- 1/3 of a green pepper
- 1-2 tsp olive oil
- Fry the onions in some oil until soft, then add the corn (remove it from the cobs with a sharp knife). Fry for about another 3-4 minutes. Then leave it to cool for a few minutes.
- Mix the beaten eggs, polenta, milk, baking powder and flour in a large bowl until smooth. Then add the two thirds of the cheese.
- Mix in the onions and sweetcorn.
- Grease an 8 inch silicone pan and pour in the polenta, onion and sweetcorn mixture.
- Halve the tomatoes and chop the other vegetables, and place them on top, pressing in slightly.
- Place the pan in your slow cooker. Put some water under your pan if your slow cooker cannot be used dry.
- Cook on high for two hours approx or until a skewer or knife comes out clean.
- Drizzle on a little olive oil, sprinkle on some mixed herbs, then sprinkle on the rest of the cheese on top and brown in a hot oven for 10 minutes.Serve warm.
This recipe is cooked in a slow cooker, based on vegetarian ingredients, and I used up a packet of polenta to make it so I think it counts as a frugal recipe.
I’m also linking up with #CookBlogShare which can be found here at Supergoldenbakes and #recipeoftheweek.