This white chocolate shortbread has white chocolate chips and a zing from lime zest! Buttery shortbread is delicious with added chocolate chips.
This easy shortbread recipe takes only minutes to put together, including the weighing, and is so tasty for an afternoon or after-school snack.
If you fancy you can swap the white chocolate chips for milk or dark chocolate, or add in some dried fruit – cranberries work well.
History of shortbread
Shortbread is a traditional Scottish biscuit which is normally made from a ratio of one part sugar to two parts butter and three or four parts flour.
It has a rich buttery flavour and crumbly texture which melts in the mouth, making it very popular across the world.
Good quality butter is used for the best flavour, and a little salt brings out the sweetness.
Here are the ingredients you will need, handy for shopping. Get the quantities in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- caster sugar
- butter or Stork
- plain white flour
- lime zest
- vanilla extract
- white chocolate chips
- pinch of salt
Step by step
Here’s an overview of how to make this white chocolate shortbread, with step by step pictures.
1. Mix together the sugar, lime zest and vanilla extract.
2. Cream the butter into the sugar mixture until soft.
3. Stir in the flour and bring the dough together with your hands.
4. Add the white chocolate chips and mix them in.
5. Bring the dough back together, mixing in the chocolate chips.
6. Grease a 7 inch tin and preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
7. Press the dough into the tin evenly.
8. Score lines where you want to separate the slices, and use the back of a fork to crimp the edges. I mark mine into eight equal triangle pieces.
9. Bake for 15-20 minutes until just golden brown around the edges. The shortbread will harden as it cools, don’t worry if it still feels soft.
This shortbread smells delicious as it bakes, as you get hints of lime and rich white chocolate.
Kids will enjoy making this with you as it is so simple to prepare.
Once baked, the sight of shortbread cooling on the rack is difficult to resist!
More to try
More shortbread recipes to try:
White Chocolate Shortbread
- Mix together the sugar, lime zest and vanilla extract.
- Cream the butter into the sugar mixture until soft.
- Stir in the flour and bring the dough together with your hands.
- Add the white chocolate chips and mix them in.
- Bring the dough back together.
- Grease a 7 inch tin and preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Press the dough into the tin evenly
- Score lines where you want to separate the slices, and use the back of a fork to crimp the edges.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until just golden brown. It will harden as it cools, don't worry if it still feels soft.