Now autumn is here I love to be able to use the slow cooker to make my family warming and nutritious slow cooked meals, packed with vegetables. I may occasionally wax lyrical about the convenience of throwing your ingredients in the pot in the morning and coming back after a day at work (or play) to a cooked meal. This is the perfect way to use up any vegetables lurking in the bottom of the fridge too.
I make the basic slow cooker sausage casserole quite often for my family, as it is one of the children’s favourites, adapting it to whatever vegetables I have on hand, and sometimes adding a tin of cannellini beans or a handful of red lentils. We tend to serve it with pasta or rice as my two aren’t big fans of mash. It always goes down well and warms us up on a damp chilly day.
Serves 3-4 (you may need more sausages if cooking for older children than me).
- 6 sausages (preferably good quality, this will prevent them from disintegrating in the slow cooker during the long cooking time)
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- Half a large sweet potato, chopped
- 400 g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 250 ml boiling water
- Rich beef stockpot
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- Cornflour to thicken if needed
- Brown the sausages on all sides over high heat in a dry pan. Place them in the slow cooker.
- Add the remaining ingredients, mix and cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- An hour before serving, check if the sauce is thick enough. If not, make a paste using 1 tbsp cornflour and a little water, then stir the paste into the pot and let it cook for the last hour, to thicken.
For more slow cooker recipes, including my lighter slow cooker lasagne and aubergine, mozzarella and pepper bake amongst many others, have a look in my Recipe Index.
If you want some more ideas with sausages, check these out:
- my venison sausage and borlotti bean casserole
- cowboy stew from The Hedge Combers
- bratwurst, root vegetable and kale casserole from Anne’s Kitchen
- slow cooked pork sausage, cranberry and green lentil stew from Foodie Quine
This is my entry this month for the Slow Cooked Challenge from Janice from Farmersgirl Kitchen (and me!). Do go and check it out for more delicious slow cooked recipes!
Pin for later: