Making a batch of homemade granola ready for breakfasts for the week is somehow extremely satisfying. Maybe it is the feeling of having planned and accomplished something useful.
This granola takes minutes to mix together and not long to bake. The flavours are great and it contains no added refined sugar (sweetened with honey) or butter.
I enjoy my homemade granola on top of some Greek yoghurt with berries for breakfast or for a light dessert, and sometimes even straight out of the jar if short on time!
How to Make Your Own Granola
When you make granola at home it is free of the additives and hidden sugars that are in store-bought granola. It is so easy that you can make a batch at the weekend for breakfast for the coming week.
- Place oats, desiccated coconut, glacé cherries, coconut oil, honey and almond butter in a large bowl.
- Mix together well.
- Press into a square baking tray (I used silicone tray).
- Bake for 25 minutes at 180 degrees C (fan).
- Allow to cool and store in a jar.
- Serve with Greek yoghurt and fruit.
If you don’t like desiccated coconut, why not switch it for ground almonds, or chopped hazelnuts?
The glace cherries can be switched for dried apricots, dried pineapple, dried mango or whatever dried fruit you prefer.
Add a handful of sunflower or pumpkin seeds for added crunch.
Add chopped pistachios, almonds, brazil nuts for added goodness.
Replace almond butter with peanut butter or cashew butter.
Coconut oil replaces the vegetable oil which is often used in granola recipes to give that crunch. It works well here as it adds to the coconut flavour as well as being a great source of healthy saturated fats.
A little honey is all that is used to sweeten this granola (other than those glacé cherries of course). To make it vegan or if you simply don’t have any honey in your pantry, you can replace honey with maple syrup.
More Breakfast Recipes to Try
- tropical fruit soda bread
- blueberry oatmeal/porridge (slow cooker)
- mini baked oats with blueberries
- muesli bread rolls via Farmersgirl Kitchen
Pin this granola recipe for later
- 150 g porridge oats
- 30 g desiccated coconut
- 80 g natural glacé cherries
- 45 g coconut oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 4 tbsp almond butter
- Place all of the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. The mixture won't all stick together, some of it will remain crumbly.
- Press the mixture into a square baking tin (lined) and bake at 180 degrees for about 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Once cool, remove the granola from the tin and place it in a jar. Some pieces will crumble but some chunks will remain.
- Serve with milk or Greek yoghurt for a tasty and filling breakfast.
Originally published March 5 2015. Updated on 14 May 2019 with new photos and additional information.