It is definitely the weather now for a warming mug of hot chocolate to take the chill from your hands and warm the soul. What better than to make a big batch of it in your slow cooker so you can ladle it out at your festive parties.
Now I’ve made slow cooker hot chocolate before (see my boozy salted caramel version here) but this is an extra thick and creamy slow cooker hot chocolate for pure indulgence!
Have you had hot chocolate abroad that is so thick you can nearly stand your spoon up in it? Italian style hot chocolate is made with chopped chocolate and thickened with cornflour to give a lovely thick drink which is almost like a dessert.
I’ve adapted this idea to a slow cooker so that you can make your own thick and creamy hot chocolate at home and serve this rich and indulgent treat whenever you want.
The perfect warm hug on a rainy chilly day if you want to treat yourself. I love to treat myself to a hot chocolate when I have a rare quiet moment.
Curling up on the sofa with a mug of this is my idea of heaven. Lashings of whipped cream and chocolate shavings take this from an everyday hot chocolate to something else.
I could have drunk this all to myself but I was very generous and shared it with the kids.
Its very rich and they could only manage a small mugful, but the bonus of that is that it goes much further!
Warm those hands on a cold evening with a mug of this, while wrapping some presents perhaps. I’ll certainly have this on the go after a long day of Christmas shopping, when I manage to start mine that is.
Who are these organised people who have already done the shopping and the wrapping? It certainly isn’t me that’s for sure.
Hot Chocolate Toppings and Flavours
Add marshmallows, use flavoured chocolate – I love chocolate orange, add a slug of your favourite liqueur – Baileys would be delicious, to make this extra thick and creamy slow cooker hot chocolate your own.
Watch my video to see how easy it is to make this. For loads more slow cooker recipes including many indulgent slow cooker cakes and desserts, make sure you check out my Recipe Index, and Subscribe so you never miss a post!
Linking up with Tin and Thyme for #WeShouldCocoa.
Pin my extra thick and creamy slow cooker hot chocolate for later
Extra Thick and Creamy Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate
- 800 ml milk I used semi-skimmed
- 4 tsp cocoa powder
- 6 tsp sugar granulated or caster
- 150 g dark chocolate I used 51% cocoa
- 8 tsp milk
- 4 tsp cornflour
- whipped or squirty cream to serve
- 1 square dark chocolate chopped into shavings, to serve
- Pour the milk, cocoa powder and sugar into your slow cooker pot. Whisk well.
- Heat on high for 2 hours.
- Add the chopped chocolate and stir until melted.
- Make a smooth paste using 8 teaspoons (4 dessert spoons) of milk and 4 teaspoons (2 dessert spoons) of cornflour. Pour the cornflour mixture into the hot chocolate and whisk well.
- Heat on high for 1 hour until thickened. Whisk occasionally to prevent lumps.
- Transfer to a jug and serve. Top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.