This is a recipe for a wonderfully fragrant slow cooker lamb tagine with pomegranates, which you can make in the oven too if you don’t have a slow cooker.
This recipe is from Red Tractor Simply Beef and Lamb with you, as part of their #LivePeasant campaign.
Leaving the dish to bubble away slowly while you have a day out, go to work, or are busy with your family, lets the flavours develop and deepen.
Making a hearty one-pot dish by slow cooking, whether in a slow cooker or a low oven, is affordable and so convenient.
When you get back from work or your day out, you just need to quickly make up some couscous or rice, garnish and you are ready to serve.
Made with easy to find ingredients, this slow cooker lamb tagine doesn’t require a lot of preparation, and with such impressive results you’ll want to make it again and again.
How to Cook a Lamb Tagine in a Slow Cooker
Traditionally made in a tagine or earthenware pot, tagines are also an ideal recipe to cook gently in your slow cooker.
Simply brown the lamb in a frying pan then add all the ingredients (except the pomegranate seeds and coriander) into the slow cooker pot.
Cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 8 hours, then simply garnish and serve.
More Lamb and Beef Recipes to Try:
For more economical beef and lamb recipes from the #LivePeasant campaign, why not check these recipes out:
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Simply Beef and Lamb.
Try These Slow Cooker Recipes Too:
You might also like these comfort food recipes ideal for the colder months:
- slow cooker chicken tagine
- slow cooker beef stew with chorizo
- slow cooker lamb casserole
- family slow cooker recipes
Pin this recipe for later
Slow Cooker Lamb Tagine with Pomegranates
- 675 g /1 1/2 lb lean boneless lamb shoulder or leg cut into 2.5 cm cubes
- 30 ml or 2 tbsp oil
- 1 medium onion peeled and finely chopped (or 1 x 300 g pack diced onions)
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and crushed or 10 ml/2 tsp garlic purée
- 1 170 g jar tagine paste or 45 ml/3 tbsp tagine spice I used ras el hanout
- 450 ml or 3/4 pint hot water I used 300 ml in the slow cooker
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 3-4 dried apricots roughly chopped
- 45 ml or 3 tbsp freshly chopped coriander
- 30 ml or 2 tbsp fresh pomegranate seeds
- Heat the oil in a large 1.7 L/3 pint ovenproof dish, add the onions and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the paste and lamb. Cook for 4-6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the water. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- 20 minutes before the end of the cooking time add the apricots. Cover and continue to cook for the remainder of the cooking time.
- Garnish with the coriander and pomegranate seeds and serve with steamed couscous or rice.
Slow Cooker Method:
- Brown the lamb in a pan, I did this in a dry pan to avoid adding additional fat to the dish, but you can use oil.
- Place all ingredients except the pomegranate seeds and coriander in the slow cooker. Cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 8 hours.Garnish and serve as above.
Brown the lamb in a pan, I did this in a dry pan to avoid adding additional fat to the dish, but you can use oil.
Place all ingredients except the pomegranate and coriander in the slow cooker. Cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 8 hours.
Garnish and serve as above.