Lamb Tagine with Pomegranates
Today I’m sharing a recipe from Red Tractor Simply Beef and Lamb with you, as part of their #LivePeasant campaign. The recipe is for a wonderfully fragrant lamb tagine with pomegranates, which you can make either in the oven or in a slow cooker. I expect you can guess I made mine in the slow cooker. Leaving the dish to bubble away slowly while you have a day out, go to work, or are busy with the children, lets the flavours develop and deepen. Making a hearty one-pot dish by slow cooking, whether in a slow cooker or a low oven, is affordable and so convenient.
When you get back, you just need to quickly make up some couscous or rice, garnish and you are ready to serve. Made with easy to find ingredients, this dish doesn’t require a lot of preparation, and with such impressive results you’ll want to make it again and again.
A flavourful warming dish of lamb cooked with apricots and spices, served with pomegranate seeds
- 675 g /1 1/2 lb lean boneless lamb shoulder or leg cut into 2.5 cm cubes
- 30 ml or 2 tbsp oil
- 1 medium onion peeled and finely chopped (or 1 x 300 g pack diced onions)
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and crushed or 10 ml/2 tsp garlic purée
- 1 170 g jar tagine paste or 45 ml/3 tbsp tagine spice I used ras el hanout
- 450 ml or 3/4 pint hot water I used 300 ml in the slow cooker
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 3-4 dried apricots roughly chopped
- 45 ml or 3 tbsp freshly chopped coriander
- 30 ml or 2 tbsp fresh pomegranate seeds
Heat the oil in a large 1.7 L/3 pint ovenproof dish, add the onions and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
Add the paste and lamb. Cook for 4-6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the water. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 2 hours.
20 minutes before the end of the cooking time add the apricots. Cover and continue to cook for the remainder of the cooking time.
Garnish with the coriander and pomegranate seeds and serve with steamed couscous or rice.
Tip: This recipe works well in a low oven at Gas mark 3, 170 degrees Celcius, 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
Slow cooker method:
Brown the lamb in a pan, I did this in a dry pan to avoid adding additional fat to the dish, but you can use oil.
Place all ingredients except the pomegranate and coriander in the slow cooker. Cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 8 hours.
Garnish and serve as above.
For more beef and lamb recipes from the #LivePeasant campaign, check these out:
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Simply Beef and Lamb.