A slow cooker beef casserole with chorizo is the perfect recipe for a rich and comforting meal for your family. Chorizo and smoked paprika combine to produce a warming stew with a delicious smoky flavour.
Beef, red onion and red and green peppers are cooked all day to produce a comforting meal for the coldest of days. Those Spanish flavours of chorizo and smoked paprika bring a touch of sunshine to your meal!
Now that autumn is here, more and more of us are no doubt dusting off the slow cookers again and using them to make one-pot meals and casseroles. While I don’t really stop using my slow cookers during the spring and summer, I certainly notice that I use them more when the temperature drops.
For this recipe I often use organic ingredients, so this recipe is good to try out for Organic September if you haven’t cooked organic before. But you don’t need to use organic ingredients of course, and it will work just as well with standard ingredients.
For full quantities see the recipe card at the end of the post.
- diced beef
- red onions
- red pepper
- green pepper
- beef stock cube
Step by step instructions
As with most of my recipes, this is a very simple recipe which is excellent if you are short on time.
- Brown off the diced beef in a hot frying pan (I tend not to use oil) and then the chorizo in the same way.
- Next, add the browned chunks of beef and chorizo pieces to the rest of the ingredients (2 sliced red onions, sliced red pepper, sliced green pepper, 2 crushed garlic cloves, passata, beef stock cube and 100 ml of boiling water) in the slow cooker and get cooking!
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours, or if you are short on time, on high for 4-5 hours.
I prefer to brown off the meat as it adds flavour and also seals the meat and gives it a nice texture after cooking.
If you like this
Chorizo fans might also like to try the following recipes:
- roasted tomato, red pepper and chorizo soup from Fab Food 4 All
- chorizo and grilled veg pizza from Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary
- orzo risotto with chorizo from Foodie Quine
More slow cooker ideas
Why not also try:
Pin my slow cooker beef casserole with chorizo for later
Slow Cooker Beef Casserole with Chorizo
- 800 g diced beef
- 500 g passata
- 2 medium red onions sliced
- 1 green pepper sliced
- 1 red pepper sliced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 100 g smoked chorizo roughly half a chorizo ring, sliced
- 100 ml boiling water
- 1 beef stock cube
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp cornflour for thickening, if needed
- Place your sliced red onions in the base of the slow cooker pot.2 medium red onions
- Brown the diced beef in a medium hot pan (dry fry, without oil), in two batches. Place it in the slow cooker and add the sliced peppers and crushed garlic.800 g diced beef, 1 green pepper, 1 red pepper, 2 cloves garlic
- Fry the chorizo gently in the same pan you used to brown the beef. No oil is needed as the chorizo will produce some as you cook it.100 g smoked chorizo
- Add the chorizo, passata, and stock cube dissolved in the boiling water and smoked paprika to the slow cooker and combine all the ingredients by mixing with a spoon.500 g passata, 100 ml boiling water, 1 beef stock cube, 2 tsp smoked paprika
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours. Serve garnished with chopped parsley or coriander, and serve with rice, mash or pasta and crusty bread.
- Check the stew one hour before the end of cooking, and if the sauce needs thickening, make a paste using a tablespoon of cornflour and a little water, then stir it into the slow cooker pot. Allow it to cook for the remaining time, and it will thicken up.1 tbsp cornflour