Lemon Berry Scones
These delicious lemon berry scones are perfect for a great taste of summer. Sticky fruit and zesty lemon means your afternoon tea will be anything but boring!
Scones are so quick and easy to bake too, you can make these ready for a picnic or to eat in the garden in no time.
You can’t beat it when the soft warm fruit oozes juice everywhere. Sticky fingers can’t really be avoided here but I think that can be excused.
I use frozen fruit in my lemon berry scones, it is cheaper and lasts longer and means you can enjoy these scones whatever the time of year as long as you have a bag of frozen berries in the freezer.
With a bit of lemon zest added on top you can have these just bare as they are (warm from the oven is the best!) or serve with cream or ice cream.
Triangle scones are more of an American thing but they are so easy to make this way, you don’t need a cutter or to roll the scone dough out.
To make these triangle-shaped scones I knead the dough gently and then add the frozen fruit, pressing it into the dough. Then transfer to a lightly floured work surface, form into a round a few centimetres thick.
Slice in half all the way across then make two more cuts all the way across so you end up with 6 triangles.
From there simply transfer the individual triangles onto your lined baking tray using a spatula or knife.
Make sure you allow space between then as they will rise and expand a lot during baking.
Once baked you can see how much they have grown, they have nearly doubled in size.
So if you are in need of a quick and easy bake to enjoy, make sure you try these lemon berry scones.
Pin this recipe for later!
Lemon Berry Scones
- 225 g self raising flour
- pinch salt
- 55 g butter cubed
- 30 g caster sugar
- 150 ml milk I used semi-skimmed
- 160 g of frozen mixed berries
- lemon zest zest of half a lemon
- milk for brushing over the scones
- Mix together the flour and salt in a large bowl.
- Rub in the butter gently. It doesn't have to be mixed very fine.
- Stir in the sugar then the milk to make a soft dough.
- Knead gently.
- Add in the frozen mixed berries and lemon zest, and press the fruit into the dough.
- Form the mixture into a round disc, about two or three centimetres thick. Slice into six triangles by cutting in half and then twice more again, as shown in the image in the post.
- Transfer the triangles on a lined baking tray. Brush with a little milk.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes at 180 degrees.
- Remove from the oven and try to stop yourself eating them all warm!