Full of glacé cherries (candied cherries) and so simple to make, this slow cooker cherry cake recipe makes a small cake or loaf cake which is brilliant for snacks or including in packed lunches. An old-fashioned favourite lovely for afternoon tea!
I made this cherry cake in a round slow cooker, I find it slow cooker cakes so easy as I can get on with something else while my cake bakes! When your to-do list never ends that really is something that works for me.
I’ve had a couple of tubs of glacé cherries in my kitchen cupboards for a while now, so this was a great way to use them up! Cherry cake reminds me of tea times with my grandparents when I was little, it has those lovely homely connotations from childhood.
This is really easy to bake, and of course making it in the slow cooker keeps it nice and moist. With my top tips for baking a cake in the slow cooker you will have great results too!
Like all of my slow cooker cakes, this slow cooker cherry cake could be made in the oven too. The cake was simple but delicious and scoffed in no time at all!
How to make
Step 1. Cube butter and place the butter and sugar in a large bowl.
Step 2. Mix well until light and fluffy.
Step 3. Beat two eggs, add to the butter/sugar a bit at a time. Mix well after each addition. Add the flour, then fold in carefully.
Step 4. Rinse and dry the cherries, then toss in the additional flour. Stir the floured cherries into the cake mixture.
Step 5. Once mixed, spoon the cake mixture into a lined slow cooker pot and smooth the top with a spoon.
Step 6. Put the lid on your slow cooker, turn it to high. Put a tea towel/dish towel under the lid and fold the edges back over the top of the lid so they don’t hang over the metal sides of the pot. Cook on high for 2 hours.
Step 7. Check the cake is cooked through by inserting a skewer/cake tester or knife and checking it comes out clean. Pull the cake out using the edges of the baking paper and allow to cool.
Step 8. Once cool, add icing if desired and enjoy!
You can also bake this cherry cake in an oven.
I follow the same method as shown above using a lined 2 lb/900 g large loaf tin and cook for 40-45 minutes at 180 degrees. Make sure you check the cake is cooked through using a cake tester or knife, and watch out for burning or the cake getting too brown, as all ovens differ.
Slow Cooker Cherry Cake
- Cream together the butter and the sugar until it is light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs bit by bit. Ensure each addition is mixed well.
- Fold in the flour.
- Rinse the cherries and dry them on kitchen towel.
- Toss the cherries in the extra flour, keeping a few aside to put on the top.
- Add the dusted cherries and the vanilla bean paste or extract to the mixture and stir in gently.
- Line your slow cooker pot. You can either use baking paper or a large cake tin case. I use two layers of baking paper to prevent burning.
- Place the cake mixture in the lined pot, and use a spoon to smooth the top.
- Place a tea towel under the lid of your slow cooker, fold up the edges of the tea towel so they aren't hanging down, then put the lid on the slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 2 hours, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- As soon as the pot has cooled a little, use the lining to pull the cake out, and leave it to cool on a rack.
- If you want icing, mix the icing sugar with a few drops of water and drizzle over the cake once completely cool.