This slow cooker curried parsnip and apple soup is perfect as a winter warmer and so easy to prepare. Mild curry flavour from cumin balances the sweet and earthy flavour of the parsnip and apple.
My curried parsnip soup recipe was inspired by a parsnip and apple soup I had for lunch a few years ago at RHS Wisley which is near where I live, in one of the cafes. It had a delicate sweet flavour.
I decided to pep mine up a bit by adding cumin, which goes so well with root vegetables, adding a nice curried flavour.
In a bid to stave off the autumn and winter germs, I am currently packing as many vegetables into our meals as possible. Soup is great for this, I always use up those limp vegetables at the back of the fridge in a big pot of soup that will last the week.
Using your slow cooker to make soup is great as it can still be ready for lunch time and you can even pop out while it is bubbling slowly away. I cook my soup on high and in around 2 hours it is ready, which is great when you are busy.
- Bramley (cooking) apple, or 2 eating apples
- vegetable stockpots or stock cubes
- salt and pepper
How to make curried parsnip soup
It couldn’t be easier to whip up a pot of soup in your slow cooker.
- Simply add the chopped vegetables (onion, apple, parsnips) and stock made with boiling water to the pot, plus your cumin and seasoning.
- Cook on high for 2-3 hours (if you start in the morning it can be ready for lunch!) or on low for 7-8 hours.
- Blend before serving to your preferred consistency. I love smooth soup! For extra smooth soup I recommend using a power blender.
Tip! When making soup in a slow cooker you don’t need to reduce the amount of liquid for slow cooking as you do with something like a casserole. So just make sure you use plenty of vegetables to ensure a nice thick soup.
Freeze in tubs or soup freezer bags for up to three months.
For more autumnal soup ideas, have a look at these from my food blogging friends:
- Spiced carrot soup
- Homemade pea and ham soup from Casa Costello
- Creamy pumpkin soup from Hungry Healthy Happy
- Ribollita – hearty Tuscan soup from Supergolden Bakes
- Vegan leek and potato soup from Planet Veggie
- Roasted pumpin soup with fried sage and white truffle oil from Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary
Slow Cooker Curried Parsnip and Apple Soup
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 550 g parsnips peeled and chopped
- 1 large Bramley cooking apple peeled, cored and chopped, or 2 eating apples
- 2 vegetable stock pots (or stock cubes)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1.5 litre approx boiling water from the kettle
- Prepare the vegetables and then place all of the ingredients in your slow cooker pot. Cook on high for 3 hours (or on low for 6-8 hours) and then blend using a hand blender before serving.
I’m joining in the new linky from Corina from Searching for Spice called Cook Once Eat Twice. Soups are perfect for cooking up and eating over a few days, as we did with this soup.