Seeing as there are so many pumpkins around right now, I decided to incorporate pumpkin in my latest bake, which is a delicious slow cooker pumpkin banana bread!
Banana bread – a staple bake
Banana bread is really a go to bake for me, especially now it has got chilly. It’s so easy to prepare, especially if you have ripe bananas turning browner by the second in the fruit bowl as I often do.
This pumpkin banana bread is a great autumnal twist on a favourite.
Baking in a slow cooker
I really find baking in a slow cooker is great if you are short on time. Instead of having to find time to prepare and bake it, you can just do the preparation when you have a free five minutes, then pop your cake mixture into the slow cooker and forget about it for a couple of hours.
Slow cooker baking also more forgiving if you have problems baking in the oven, as it is less likely to burn quickly and you don’t have to worry so much about even baking or opening the oven door at the wrong time.
What pumpkin do you use in pumpkin banana bread?
Carving pumpkins can lack flavour, you really need to use either pumpkins grown for cooking and eating, or you can also use a quick shortcut and use tinned pumpkin puree.
In this bake I’ve used tinned pumpkin puree, but if you want to make and use your own from a fresh pumpkin then you can check this recipe for easy homemade pumpkin puree from Jo’s Kitchen Larder.
Slow cooker pumpkin banana bread – the recipe
To create this recipe I based it on my favourite spiced banana bread, also made in the slow cooker of course! As I was going to be adding more moisture in the form of the pumpkin puree I also increased the amount of flour, and then tweaked the butter and sugar a little for a larger mixture.
I love the gorgeous colour which pumpkin adds to bakes, whether it is in pumpkin chocolate chip scones or my slow cooker pumpkin spice pudding which has a delicious pumpkin spice sauce under the cake layer.
Pin this slow cooker pumpkin banana bread for later!
Slow Cooker Pumpkin Banana Bread
- 130 g butter softened
- 200 g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 bananas mashed
- 150 g pumpkin puree
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 350 g self-raising flour
- 1 pinch salt
- Cream together the butter and sugar until soft and fluffy, then add the eggs one by one and mix in well.
- Mash the bananas and add them to the mixture along with the pumpkin puree and spices, and combine.
- Fold in the flour plus the pinch of salt and combine carefully until mixed.
- Line the slow cooker pot with baking paper or a cake case.
- Spoon the mixture into the lining paper/case and smooth the top.
- Put the slow cooker lid on, with a tea towel folded under the lid to prevent drips from falling onto the cake mixture and making it damp.
- Cook on high for 2-3 hours, or until a cake tester, skewer or knife put in the centre of the banana bread comes out clean. See Notes section for more tips!
- Let the pot cool for a few minutes then remove the pumpkin banana bread from the pot by pulling the lining paper and leave to cool.
- Serve warm or cold!