This slow cooker spicy bean stew makes a warming vegetarian meal for any day, and is great to freeze for quick mid-week dinners.
After spending what seems like much of the summer baking, it is time for me to cut back and make some healthier choices! When it is colder, I find salads less attractive and I’d much rather have a warming bowl of stew, casserole or curry instead.
I also like to take this bean stew in my lunchbox on working days, as I know I will get my five-a-day that way.
My slow cooker spicy bean stew recipe is packed with beans and vegetables and I add whatever vegetables I have in the fridge to bulk it out further.
The chipotle paste gives this simple stew a spicy kick. I serve it with soured cream and fresh parsley, and a flatbread on the side. It also goes really well with rice for a larger meal.
I didn’t give this stew with my children this time as I thought it would be too spicy for them; if I make it for us all to share I would reduce the chipotle paste and add a tin of sweetcorn.
Here’s what you will need to make this recipe, get the quantities in the recipe card further down:
- tin red kidney beans
- tin chickpeas
- tin borlotti beans
- tin chopped tomatoes
- tomato purée
- vegetable bouillon powder or veggie stock cube
- chipotle chilli paste
- red onion
- dried sage
Step by step
Mix all the ingredients together in the slow cooker pot.
Cook on high for 4-5 hrs or low for 8 hours.
How to serve
Serve with a dollop of soured cream (or alternative for a vegan diet) and fresh parsley, with a flatbread or tortilla and some boiled rice for a larger meal.
Most of the ingredients in this bean stew are zero points on WeightWatchers so this is a great light option to make when you are running low on points!
More to try
Here are some more veggie slow cooker dishes you might also like:
Pin this slow cooker spicy bean stew for later
I’m sending this to the Slow Cooked Challenge, the challenge Janice from Farmersgirl Kitchen and I now co-host. This month the theme is meat-free.
I’m also sending this to Extra Veg from Fuss Free Flavours (hosting this month) and Utterly Scrummy Food for Families as I pack in whatever vegetables I need to use up.
As I cooked this in my slow cooker which is a cheap method of cooking, and it uses inexpensive store cupboard ingredients (and hurrah I used up three tins of beans!) I am sending this over to Credit Crunch Munch too. This month Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary is hosting for Fuss Free Flavours and Fab Food 4 All.
I’m also sending this to Jac from Tinned Tomatoes and her Meat Free Monday linky.
This is vegan if you omit the sour cream on serving.
Slow Cooker Spicy Bean Stew
- 400 g tin red kidney beans drained
- 300 g tin chickpeas drained
- 400 g tin borlotti beans drained
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 4 tbsp tomato purée
- 200 ml hot water
- 1 tsp vegetable bouillon powder
- 1½ teaspoons heaped of chipotle chilli and smoked paprika paste
- 1 red onion chopped
- 2 sticks of celery chopped
- salt and pepper to season
- 1 tsp dried sage
- Mix all the ingredients together in the slow cooker pot.400 g tin red kidney beans, 300 g tin chickpeas, 400 g tin borlotti beans, 400 g tin chopped tomatoes, 4 tbsp tomato purée, 200 ml hot water, 1 tsp vegetable bouillon powder, 1½ teaspoons heaped of chipotle chilli and smoked paprika paste, 1 red onion, 2 sticks of celery, salt and pepper, 1 tsp dried sage
- Cook on high for 4-5 hrs or low for 8 hours.