This slow cooker bean chilli is made with black beans, red kidney beans and chickpeas for a vegan slow cooker chilli which is easy to prepare and great for a warming family meal in the autumn and winter.
Slow cooker vegan option
Hearty warming dishes are just what we need now the weather is getting colder and nights have got so much darker already since the clocks changed. This slow cooker vegan chilli is a great option for Meat Free Mondays or any day if you are opting for more plant-based meals.
Chilli is great for serving a crowd, just provide boiled rice, chopped coriander, diced avocado, diced tomato, grated cheese and sour cream (use a vegan alternative for both of the last two options to keep it vegan) and serve the chilli in a serving bowl for everyone to dig in!
Bean chilli is a good high-protein vegetarian option which will keep everyone feeling full too. I like to use a combination of different beans in different colours and sizes, the small dark black beans, then the large red kidney beans and the round chickpeas are a good mix.
Recipe variations and sides
You can adjust the spice level of your chilli to suit who you are feeding. I tend to use mild chilli powder when sharing the meal with my children but go for something a little hotter when it is just for me.
As well as serving it with rice, this bean chilli is also great in a jacket potato for a warming winter option. Or serve it with tortillas and salad and make your own bean wraps.
How to make slow cooker vegan bean chilli
Step 1. Dice an onion, a red pepper and place the onion, red pepper and baby plum tomatoes in the base of your slow cooker pot.
Step 2. Drain and rinse a tin (400 g / 14 oz) each of chickpeas, black beans and red kidney beans. Put them on top of the vegetables in the slow cooker pot.
Step 3. Pour over a carton of passata (500 g / 18 oz), then add 2 teaspoons of cumin, 2 teaspoons of chilli powder (I used mild but choose whichever chilli strength you prefer), 1 teaspoon of oregano, half a teaspoon of minced garlic and salt and pepper to your taste.
Step 4. Mix, put on the slow cooker lid and then cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 7-8 hours.
Serve with rice, chopped coriander (cilantro) and your preferred toppings (avocado, grated cheese, fresh diced tomatoes, sour cream, salsa).
More slow cooker vegetarian dishes to try
If you are vegetarian or vegan there is no reason you can’t use a slow cooker too. They are not just for meat-based casseroles, far from it. I have lots of slow cooker recipes for veggie curries, stews and bakes.
In the following recipes swap cheese or milk for your preferred plant-based alternatives to make them vegan.
Pin for later
Slow Cooker Bean Chilli
- 1 onion
- 1 red pepper
- 150 g baby plum tomatoes
- 400 g red kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 400 g black beans rinsed and drained
- 400 g chickpeas rised and drained
- 500 g passata
- 0.5 tsp dried minced garlic
- 2 tsp dried cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp chilli powder I used mild
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp coriander (cilantro) chopped, to serve
- Dice the onion and red pepper. Place them in the base of the slow cooker with the baby tomatoes.
- Rinse and drain the tins of red kidney beans, black beans and chickpeas (400 g / 14 oz tins).
- Add the passata (500 g / 18 oz carton), garlic (0.5 tsp), cumin (2 tsp), oregano ( 1 tsp), chilli powder (2 tsp). Add salt and pepper to your taste.
- Mix, put on the slow cooker lid and cook on high for 5 hours or on low for 7-8 hours.
- Serve with chopped coriander (cilantro) as a garnish with rice. Serve with optional diced avocado, diced fresh tomato, sweetcorn, grated cheese and sour cream (use vegan alternatives as required) to serve.