This cake was inspired by an idea I had to try to make a pretty slow cooker cake! It needed to be chocolatey but also delicate so that seemed to lead me towards using lemon. Read on for my recipe for slow cooker white chocolate and lemon cake!
Lemon creamy icing also seems to call out for the addition of blueberries!
The crème fraîche icing has a hint of lemon flavour from the lemon zest and lemon juice you add to it. Delicious.
- 200 g white chocolate, broken up
- 225 g butter, cubed
- Zest of 1 lemon, save a little for the icing
- 225 g caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 225 g self raising flour
For the icing:
- 300 ml light crème fraîche
- 70 g icing sugar
- 1 tsp of juice from the lemon
- Blueberries to top
1. Melt the white chocolate and butter together in the microwave. In my 1000 watt microwave this took 90 seconds. Stir until smooth, then stir in the lemon zest.
2. In another bowl, whisk the sugar and eggs together.
3. Add the melted chocolate mixture into the egg and sugar mixture, and whisk again.
4. Fold in the flour until just combined. Don’t overmix.
5. Grease and line your slow cooker bowl. This was made in my 3.5 l slow cooker.
6. Pour the cake batter into the lined bowl.
7. Cook on high for 2-3 hours, or until a skewer or toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Note: all slow cookers are different, yours may take less time (or longer!), look out for burning and remove as soon as the centre is firm and the skewer or toothpick comes out clean.
8. Allow to cool.
9. To make the icing, whisk the crème fraîche with the icing sugar for 3-5 minutes, until soft peaks form. Stir in the lemon juice.
10. Spoon the icing on top of the cake and top with blueberries.
11. Keep the cake chilled. Best consumed on the day it is made.
I am linking this recipe with Slow Cooker Challenge over at Farmersgirl Kitchen.