Chocolate Crinkle Cookies – Bloggers Cookie Swap
When Andrea from Made With Pink suggested a bloggers cookie swap, I knew I wanted to take part. I mean, it is nearly Christmas and how lovely it would be to bake, gift wrap and send a batch of cookies through the post. Not forgetting receiving cookies in return of course too, what a great idea.
I don’t bake cookies that often so decided to use Pinterest to find a recipe to use. Crinkle cookies seemed to be very popular over on Pinterest so that was my decision made. I also remembered Kevin from The Crafty Larder’s choc cherry bakewell crackles as inspiration.
On the day I came to make my cookies, I was a bit distracted as one of my children was poorly. So I gave up trying to add my own spin to the recipe with different flavours and instead just adapted an American recipe to UK measurements.
The recipe is adapted from McCormick’s Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies, without the red food colouring, so they are chocolate crinkle cookies.
I needed to send off 12 cookies in the post and the recipe made about 18 medium cookies so we were able to try a few before posting. My family were pleased about that!
Having consulted other bloggers on the best way to keep cookies intact in the post, I packaged them up in a small box, wrapped in baking paper and padding the box out with bubble wrap.
My cookies were sent off to Sophie from Penne For Your Thoughts. Fingers crossed they reached her in one piece and were enjoyed!
Pin my chocolate crinkle cookies for later!!
Chocolate crinkle cookies
- 215 g plain flour
- 35 g cocoa powder
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 230 g granulated sugar
- 110 g unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- A small bowlful of icing sugar
- Place the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt in a bowl, mix and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl until it is light and fluffy. I used a hand mixer to do this but you could also use a wooden spoon and a bit of elbow grease.
- Add the eggs and vanilla bean paste and mix well.
- Gradually beat in the flour and cocoa powder mixture until well combined.
- Place the whole bowl in the fridge and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees and line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Using a dessertspoon, take spoonfuls of the cookie dough and then form them into small balls of approx 2 cm diameter by rolling them in your hands.
- Roll each ball in the bowl of icing sugar until covered completely.
- Space the balls out on the baking trays as they will spread as they cook.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the cookies are no longer wet in the cracks.
- Allow to cool and enjoy.
A couple of days after posting my cookies I received an exciting parcel in the post. I was astounded to open the package and find inside some more chocolate crinkle/crackle cookies, only made by Kevin from The Crafty Larder!
The cookies Kevin sent me were chocolate orange flavour, and we have been really enjoying them during the preparations for Christmas. Thanks very much Kevin! I look forward to seeing all the cookies everyone has made and received. You can see them over at Made with Pink on her cookie exchange linky.