Slow cooker curried potato, pea and sweetcorn croquettes are a delicious and economical dish, good as a main veggie meal or as a side.
As the warmer weather is coming (touch wood it stays), I still like to use my slow cooker for the convenience of it. You can still make delicious meals in the slow cooker even in the summer, with no stews or casseroles in sight.
These mild curried potato, pea and sweetcorn croquettes were put together at lunchtime and then cooked away in the slow cooker and were ready for my kids’ early tea time, leaving me able to get on with other things in the afternoon.
They are very easy to make, you can either use leftover mashed potato for the base of the recipe or microwave a couple of jacket (baked) potatoes and scoop out the flesh, as I did here.
Can you crisp up food in a slow cooker?
Have you already found out that you can cook dishes like these potato croquettes which need to go crispy on the outside in the slow cooker? Yes it’s true!
If you remember that the sides of the slow cooker pot heat up during cooking, it makes it very like a mini oven!
The contact of the food with the slow cooker pot cause it to brown and crisp up.
If you make my slow cooker pastitsio you will see how the cheesy sauce on top browns from the contact with the hot slow cooker as well!
Here’s what you will need for slow cooker potato croquettes, get the quantities in the recipe card further down:
- cooked potato
- garam masala
- chilli flakes
- Combine cooked potato (flesh from a baked potato or leftover mashed potato), sweetcorn and peas in a bowl. Add spices and season.
- Form into small balls (around 10-15). Dip in beaten egg then breadcrumbs until covered.
- Place the croquettes in the base of a lined slow cooker pot. Cook on high for 3 hours, turning occasionally.
Slow Cooker Curried Potato, Pea and Sweetcorn Croquettes
- 2 medium baked potatoes microwaved and flesh scooped from the skin
- handful of frozen peas
- kernels from one fresh corn on the cob or use tinned/frozen sweetcorn
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- sprinkle of dried crushed chillies
- 1 egg beaten
- 50 g dried breadcrumbs
- Place the potato flesh, peas and sweetcorn in a large bowl.2 medium baked potatoes, handful of frozen peas, kernels from one fresh corn on the cob
- Add the spices and salt and pepper.1 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp garam masala, 1 tsp cumin, salt and pepper to taste, sprinkle of dried crushed chillies
- Mix well and then form into 10-15 small balls.
- Place the beaten egg in one bowl and the breadcrumbs in another.1 egg, 50 g dried breadcrumbs
- Dip each ball into first the egg and then the breadcrumbs, until completely covered.
- Place the croquettes into the slow cooker on baking paper, and cook on high for approx 3 hours, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides.
- Delicious served in a wrap with salad and cucumber raita.