Slow cooker rhubarb cobbler is a lovely recipe to use for fresh rhubarb either from your garden or allotment or from farmers’ markets. This warm dessert is ideal for Spring.
There’s something about this time of year, when all the signs of spring are there, but there is a biting cold wind and you can really feel the chill when you go outside. I hope it warms up soon.
In the meantime, we are relying on old-fashioned warm puddings to keep us cosy when needed. This slow cooker rhubarb cobbler is so easy to make and is perfect for a chilly day, with custard.
Seeing the first forced rhubarb in the shops is another sign of spring for me.
I had planned to make a rhubarb crumble but only had self-raising flour so decided on a cobbler instead.
If you haven’t had one before, a cobbler has a scone-like topping, which you add on top of the fruit. It only takes minutes to make the topping.
How to Make a Slow Cooker Rhubarb Cobbler – Step by Step
Wash and chop the rhubarb and place in the slow cooker with 50 g caster sugar and a little water. Cook on high for 15 minutes to soften the rhubarb slightly.
Rub the cubed butter into the flour.
Add 60 g sugar, a beaten egg and the milk in.
Mix gently to combine.
Pour the cobbler mixture over the rhubarb, after the 15 minutes is up.
Smooth over the cobbler mixture to cover the rhubarb, then put on the lid and cook for 1.5 to 2 hours on high, with a cloth under the lid to stop drips falling onto the food.
As it cooks the cobbler mixture will rise and cover the rhubarb.
Once the cooking time is up, serve the rhubarb cobbler directly from the slow cooker pot!
My slow cooker rhubarb cobbler was delicious for a winter or springtime pudding.
The tartness of the rhubarb combined with the scone topping is just right.
Have a look at my post on baking and making puddings in the slow cooker for loads more ideas and recipes for slow cooker desserts.
More Rhubarb Recipes to Try
If you love rhubarb or grow it in your garden and have a surplus, try these other rhubarb recipes too
- rhubarb buttermilk cake
- rhubarb scones
- rhubarb flapjacks
- rhubarb sponge pudding
- Scottish rhubarb cranachan
Pin this recipe for later
Slow Cooker Rhubarb Cobbler
- Place the rhubarb, 50 g caster sugar and two tablespoons of water in the slow cooker pot.400 g rhubarb, 50 g golden caster sugar
- Cook on high for 15 mins to soften it slightly.
- Rub the butter into the flour, then stir in the sugar, egg and milk.100 g self-raising flour, 50 g butter, 60 g golden caster sugar, 1 egg, 60 ml milk
- Mix gently until combined.
- Rub a little butter around the edges of the slow cooker pot to prevent sticking.
- Then pour the toppping mixture on top of the rhubarb.
- Cook on high for 90 mins to 2 hours until the topping is cooked through. Use a cloth (tea towel or kitchen towel) under the lid to stop drips from falling onto the top of the food.
Serve warm, with custard.
Recipe originally posted March 8 2016. Updated May 9 2019 with new photos.